Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI 2.2 upgrade to 3.2

CSCO12550173
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts, 

one questions, it's recommended leave the aci fabric with differents versions like apic 3.2 and leaves 2.2 for a long period of time, like 1-2 months?

theres is suppport in this manner?

how can i see or measure the impact for the upgrade?

or if certain features are not going to work or not?

i hope can help me and share experience about, like or biggest concerns are that some l3out stop to work

there are no vmm integration and l4-l7 

best regards

2 Replies 2

udo.konstantin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @CSCO12550173 

I recommend not using such different major versions. The major update starting from 2.x to 3.x brings a lot different features as well changes within the GUI. AFAIK I can't say if it works or not because I didn't try a situation like this. 

But from a technical perspective I didn't recommend it using this in a productive environment. 

@CSCO12550173 wrote:

Hi Experts, 

one questions, it's recommended leave the aci fabric with differents versions like apic 3.2 and leaves 2.2 for a long period of time, like 1-2 months?

theres is suppport in this manner?

how can i see or measure the impact for the upgrade?

or if certain features are not going to work or not?

i hope can help me and share experience about, like or biggest concerns are that some l3out stop to work

there are no vmm integration and l4-l7 

best regards

Claudia de Luna
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi @CSCO12550173 ,

I strongly suggest you don't take that approach.   An ACI Fabric is a system designed to have all of its components (APICs, Leafs, Spines operating on a uniform code level).  I've upgraded the APICs and 1/2 the fabric and waited a day or so just to make sure everything is working as expected before taking the other Half of the fabric to the same code level.

As @udo.konstantin  mentioned, of even greater concern would be trying to run the fabric with different major revisions.  In fact you can't even get to 3.2 directly from 2.2(1).

I would take the fabric to 2.2(3) (I checked the downgrade path back to 2.2 from 3.2(1) should you have issues.  From there you can go to 3.2(1) directly, run on that for some time and then go to the latest 3.2 version..

Here is a terrific site to help in your analysis.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/Website/datacenter/apicmatrix/index.html#cur=2.2(3)&tar=3.2(1)

I suspect you are already aware of the upgrade best practices -
- Clear all Faults
- Make sure all hour APICS are healthy (fully fit and fully synced)

- Snapshot the Fabric
- I like to reload every APIC before upgrading.  its a good way to make sure everything can come up cleanly on your current code

Save 25% on Day-2 Operations Add-On License