Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE: Server- /backup-server connection failover

Hi, I have a question regarding server-failover when using rserver+backup-rserver or serverfarm+backup-serverfarm (via sticky).

My understanding is, that in case a server fails, the existing connections will not fail over to a backup-server.

We are looking for a way to change that (default) behaviour - We've already searched the documentation etc. and found the "failaction reassign/purge". But when my colleague tried to have this confirmed via TAC, it got pretty confusing and we were told, there's no way to do/solve this..

So in a second attempt, does anyone have experience with this - maybe can confirm or give another solution?

Thanks & Regards,

Max

3 Replies 3

ajayku2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This was answered sometime back in few discussion:

first, not all servers accept TCP connection to be reassigned to them.

This is because tcp requires 3-way handshake and keeps track of sequence/ack numbers.Therefore, the servers need some way to exchange this information or to start in the middle.

On ace, we have 2 commands "failaction reassign" or "failaction purge".

The reassign is to simply move the connection to a backup server.

The purge is to kill the connection forcing the client to reopen a new one - this new connection will then be loadbalance to an active server.

Thanks, actually I read that discussion, but needed an confirmation that I'm on the right track, after Cisco TAC told us the exact opposite..

Thanks!

Thats the best possible answer for this. Good to know it was helpful.

with regards,

Ajay Kumar

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card