Views
Helpful
Replies

backup cisco 5505 and uppload backup to cisco 5506

darbag123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Is it possible to backup a cisco 5505, load it up to a newer model 5506 and retain all the configuration from 5505 to 5506?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

juagonz2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

My impulse response is that the platforms are significantly different. Also, the 5506 offers many (newer) options that weren't available before. I would imagine that the ACL's, network groups and policies would be easy to migrate but in an effort to maximize the power, efficiency and features of your new device it may be prudent to invest some time in tuning the device to your environment. 

With that said, in networking.. anything is possible. If you drag and drop the configs from the 5505 to the 5506 it may work depending on the features you are using but it will likely require some tuning.

Best of luck to you. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes

juagonz2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

My impulse response is that the platforms are significantly different. Also, the 5506 offers many (newer) options that weren't available before. I would imagine that the ACL's, network groups and policies would be easy to migrate but in an effort to maximize the power, efficiency and features of your new device it may be prudent to invest some time in tuning the device to your environment. 

With that said, in networking.. anything is possible. If you drag and drop the configs from the 5505 to the 5506 it may work depending on the features you are using but it will likely require some tuning.

Best of luck to you. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card