Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco ACE - control load balancing based in known source ip address

Carlos T
Level 1
Level 1

Hi.

I want to statically control which know client source IP address (/32) will be redirected or balanced to a specific real server in the server farm.

Is it possible to do it in cisco ace? if yes, please explain how to do it?

Let explain what I want with an example:

I want to force Client A to always be redirected to real server A, while Client B to always be redirected to real server B, If I have a new client, for example client C I want to have the control, to always redirect his connections to real server A.  Real servers A, B and C are members of the same server farm.

3 Replies 3

sivaksiv
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I dont see a point of loadbalancing here if you want to statically map individual ip to real server

one way i can think of is to match based on src ip under class-map and point that to your real server

sample config:

class-map match-any CD-VIP
  3 match virtual-address x.x.x.x eq any

serverfarm SF1

rserver A
    inservice

serverfarm SF2

rserver B

inservice

class-map type http loadbalance match-any SRC-IP-A
  2 match source-address a.a.a.a 255.255.255.255

class-map type http loadbalance match-any SRC-IP-B
   2 match source-address b.b.b.b 255.255.255.255

policy-map type loadbalance first-match Policy1
  class SRC-IP-A
    serverfarm SF1

class SRC-IP-B
     serverfarm SF2

policy-map multi-match Mpolicy1

class CD-VIP
    loadbalance vip inservice
    loadbalance policy Policy1
    loadbalance vip icmp-reply
    loadbalance vip advertise

interface vlan yyy

service-pilicy .....

HTH

-------

Siva

Hi Siva,

I do have similar requirement where, we have three application URL/Server say for example X, Y and Z and we have end user subnets A, B and C. requirement is if a user with A subnet reaches Loadbalancer it has to route to X URL, respectivity if a user with B subnet reaches load balancer it has to route to Y URL. But end user need to have single VIP, VIP has redirect to respective URLs based on source IP subnet. How we can achive this in Cisco ACE and what are the steps

Hi Fareed,

I haven't done this but you can use the above configuration and use redirect servers and serverfarms instead of the normal servers. The user's would be loadbalanced to the respective serverfarms based on source IP and redirected to the URL's you would like.

Regards,

Kanwal

Note: Please mark answers if they are helpful.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card