cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WAAS Double Inline Accelerator

John Early
Beginner
Beginner

I have recently taken over a new network and found something odd when I arrived.  I can draw an actual Visio if needed but let me try it in text, we have:

(Internal Network) -->--(Inline LAN WAAS WAE#1  Inline WAN)-->--(Inline LAN WAAS WAE#2  Inline WAN)-->--(WAN Router)-->--(WAN)

Has anyone seen this in production before??  We are seeing some odd WAN speeds between this site and another large site, both with 50Mbps connections.  I am not asking for help on the overall speed issues, just a validation that double inline WAE devices isn't hurting me more than helping.  Both do have active connections if I do "Show Stat Connection".

Thanks,

John

3 Replies 3

finn.poulsen
Participant
Participant

Hi John,

I haven't seen this in real life before, but it should be possible to serially cluster two inline WAEs :

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v541/configuration/guide/cnfg/traffic.html#67354

But it will required peer configuration as described in above link.

It pussles me though that both have active connections, unless WAE#1 is TFO overloaded.

Best regards

Finn Poulsen

From the link you posted, it doesn't appear that either of these devices are peered with each other or anything.  Should I go ahead and follow the serial cluster guide in the link??  Or should I go ahead and open a TAC case and let someone validate these settings?

Thanks.

Hi John,

The "peer" setting is only used to prevent that e.g. traffic to a site without WAAS doesn't gets optimized on the LAN cable between WAE#1 and WAE#2 and thus spilling ressources on those two WAAS boxes.

Normally optimization (and auto-discovery) bypasses intermediate WAAS devices, and setup optimization between the two most far WAASes, i.e. closest to the server and client.

Does WAE#2 have optimizations to the same peers as WAE #1 ?

I think you should just follow the guide, but feel free to open a TAC case.

Best regards

Finn Poulsen

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Recognize Your Peers