Views
Helpful
Replies

Content Switch sending request to both servers

vyas.nilay
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have following configuration on the content switch and it send the request to both the servers. due to two tcp stream from going via two different server it second request fails and generate false alerts.

It was working fine but since last week it is giving lot of false alerts.

content StatePMVQLMVMS_8PR3

vip address X.X.X.X

add service W8PRAKLQLM01_StateVMS_8HTTP3

add service W8PRAKLQLM02_StateVMS_8HTTP3

advanced-balance sticky-srcip

port XXXX

protocol tcp

active

Please let me know what should I check to get this fixed. I hardly work with content switch.

Is there a way I can set up to send all the request to primary server and when it dies then and only then it send a request to secondary and when primary comes back online it restore back to primary ????

I am fine if it does not load balance .. but at least it stop sending false alerts..

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

rajsures
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Vyas,

service server1                       !--- This is your main server.

ip address 10.10.10.11

keepalive type tcp

port 80

active

service sorry                         !--- This is the server to which you want to default if the primary fails.

ip address 10.10.10.12                    

keepalive type tcp

port 80

active

content Green

vip address 172.17.63.239

protocol tcp

add service server1

primarySorryServer sorry            !--- This is important here.

active

Note: After the CSS 11xxx directs requests to a primary sorry server, the switch continues to use the primary sorry server, even when the original server becomes functional. In order to force the connection back to the original server, you must suspend the primary sorry server or wait until the connection is dropped or times out. When the CSS 11xxx initiates a new session, the connection goes back to the original server.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Rajesh.

yup that will work as work around.. thanks Rajesh..

Do you know why it suddenly sending request to both the server .. it send to first server and then send to another server.. immidate after that..

Kind Regards,

Nilay Vyas.

Hi Nilay,

You have configured sticky based on src-ip which means that as long as src IP remains same  the user would be sent to the same server.

Now a situation where CSS starts sending the request to different servers could be due to the fact that sticky table was full. In that situation a new connection from same user will be load balanced according to the LB method.  If the sticky table is full and none of the sticky entries has expired, the CSS rejects the new sticky request.

You can use sticky-inact-timeout to ensure that sticky entries flush out after they have been inactive for some amount of time.

Please visit the below link for more details about it.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/css11500series/v8.20/configuration/content_lb/guide/cntntgd.pdf

Regards,

Kanwal