cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CPU Utilisation on CSS11501's

asbeech
Level 1
Level 1

I have 2 CSS11501's configured with redundancy between them. On certain occasions I am noticing that the master is becoming the backup for a very short period of time, I think it is due to the fact that CPU utilisation on the master or backup is getting very high (90% plus) therefore causing the redundancy to kick in. I have had sniffers on the network to check that nothing is targeting the CSS's and causing the CPU to go through the roof or that the CSS's are getting overloaded with services going through them. Can anyone offer any other explanations ?

3 Replies 3

seilsz
Level 4
Level 4

You can check to see which processes are consuming your CPU resources in debug mode:

CSS11501# llama

CSS11501(debug)# symbol-table load SPRITZ

Loading string table... 639,377

Loading symbols........ 23,571

Load complete.......... 1,205,081

CSS11501(debug)# cpu monitor 1 1 50

CPU Monitor Debug Options (1/1) threshold = 50 verbose = OFF

c) Clear data

d) Display data

Please enter selection [q=Quit]:

Select 'd' over the course of several minutes to gather a list of the processes that are utilizing more than 50% of your CPU. Note that the '50' in the command above is a threshold variable that you can set to whatever you want.

~Zach

Thanks for that Zach. I have tried it and the command works on one css but not the other. I get message timed out after hitting d to display data. One css is on version 7.10 build 102 (the one that gives message timed out) and the other is on version 7.30.0.0.5. ANy thoughts ?

Try the following:

symbol-table load SPRITZ

shell 1 1 spy

shell 1 1 spyReport

shell 1 1 spyStop

symbol-table unload SPRITZ

What type of redundancy do you have configured? Do you see anything in the CSS logs? You may want to increase the logging level of the chassis and netman subsystems.

~Zach

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card