Views
Helpful
Replies

CSM sticky limitations

amaiale
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a couple of CSMs in my ServerFarm Distribution Layer and am hoping someone could advise and help me, if possible.

If I have a vserver with "sticky" applied and with a url policy applied in addition to a default serverfarm. Is there a way to force the CSM to make a load balance decision after an initial decision gets made and entered into the sticky table???

Note: The policy points to different reals than the default serverfarm.

With the "sticky" command applied to the vserver and a user comes in (1st time), they are processed either by the policy or by the default serverfarm (based on url) and are load balanced and entered into the sticky table. Everything works. However, if they come back in a 2nd time and need to be load balanced by the opposite process, (by policy or by default serverfarm this time), the CSM never processes it because the user is already in the sticky table. The CSM will not make a load balancing decision to other reals if the user is already in the sticky table from a previous load

balancing decision.

Is there any way the CSM can do this?? Or is the CSM limited for this type of

requirement??

Note: I cannot change the host name portion of my url.

Thanks for your help. I greatly appreciate it.

Tony

1 Reply 1

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We will need to see your config - policy and sticky.

I'm not sure to understand how you created this.

The CSM will normally parse the policy sequentially, and when it finds a match statement, it will use the sticky method or serverfarm configured.

If no match, it goes to the next policy.

Maybe all you need to do is configure different sticky group for each policy.

ie:

map Host1 header

match protocol http header Host header-value ...

map Host2 header

sticky 1 ......

sticky 2 ......

policy P1

header-map Host1

sticky-group 1

policy P2

header-map Host2

sticky-group 2

Gilles.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card