Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS Remove Service from Rule impact on Sticky-Table

andrew.thomson
Level 1
Level 1

We have CSS 11503 with 07.20.0.03.

I have noticed that if I remove a service from a content rule that is using an advanced-balance method (sticky-srcip), all entries for the rule are purged from the sticky-table, rather than just those for the removed service.

We are currently issuing warnings to our operators to NOT do this.

Is this expected behaviour?

The other methods of stopping services being hit (e.g. setting the weight to 0) do not allow us to remove the service configuration details from the startup-config file. We have to have a scheduled outage to remove old configuration items.

Any comments?

6 Replies 6

andrew.thomson
Level 1
Level 1

OK, Thanks for the prompt response. Pity though.

I feel it worth a warning in the documentation. I will raise through our account team.

pknoops
Level 3
Level 3

This is correct. If you suspend a content rule to remove a service from the rule and then re-activate the content rule, the sticky entries are reset. This is functioning as it should.

Regards

Pete..

Thanks for the comment but that is not quite right!You do not need to suspend the content rule to remove services.

You can remove all but the last service from the content rule without suspending the rule!

I fully accept that if you suspend the content rule you will lose all the sticky-entries. This makes sense!

However it does not seem to make sense to allow a remove without suspending but to still remove all the sticky-entries.

Gilles Dufour
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I just tested this and get the same result with the latest versions.

However I can't tell if this is normal or not.

I'm currently checking with the software designers.

Will get back to you asap.

Regards,

Gilles.

indeed, working as designed.

Even if you do not really suspend and reactivate the rule, when removing a service this is what is happening in the background [suspend/activate].

Therefore, doing this during maintenance sounds like the best way to do it.

Gilles.

Many thanks. I look forward to the outcome.