Views
Helpful
Replies

GSS Deployment over Internet

veer.pratap
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

We have configured 2 GSS(4.1)as Primary GSS and Standby GSS and placed over Internet .Created at DNS rule for www.xyz.net through wizard.

When tested locally we are able to get the answer configured on the GSS.

Now we have registered the domain over internet and want to redirect the queries to GSS for which we are trying to register GSS as Nameservers.

But we are unable to register it as a nameserver for our domain.and also how will we be able to use is for multiple domains on internet in future when we create multiple DNS rules.

Can somebody please help us to get the DNS request redirected to GSS from Internet.or guide me how to ask the registrar to add GSS as nameservers.

Thanks And Regards,

Veer Pratap Singh

9 Replies 9

Kanwaljeet Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Veer,

You will have to make changes in your ZONE FILE. The NS record for that particular domain should point to GSS so that query comes to GSS and GSS based on different parameters configured will provide the best ANSWER.

For more details, please below go through the below link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/gss4400series/v2.0/configuration/gui/gslb/guide/Intro.html#wp1037988

Let  me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

Kanwal

Hi Kanwal,

we have registered the test domain with godaddy.com , when we try modify/register the GSS as nameserver of the domain we recieve error saying invalid nameserver.

Regards,

Veer Pratap Singh

Hi Veer,

Did you check with Godaddy regarding that problem. It shouldn't be a problem. You should be able to change NS from current to your GSS.

Regards,

Kanwal

Hi Kanwal,

We checked with Godaddy, they say that it is failing the nameserver tests performed to be a valid nameserver , they asked to check at the site http://who.is/nameserver/  , it shows unknown nameserver.

However we have mannaged to add the GSS in the Hostname file and added it as nameservers for the domain. but still not showing perfectly in the nslookup tests.it might take some while to reflect globally on internet, then we will test it.

Thanks,

Veer Pratap

HI Veer,

Glad to know. Did you make any change on GSS itself to add it as a NS?

Regards,

Kanwal

Hi Kanwal,

We were able to add it as nameserver(i don`t have idea how it got added this time), but the still having issues.

when we check the whois for the domain we can see the GSS as the nameservers. but when we try nslookup(set q=ns) from the client machine the tests fails. we are nota able to resolve the domain through nslookup.

Regards,

Veer Pratap Singh  

Hi Veer,

Do you know if your request is reaching GSS?

When you query for NS (set q-ns) do you get the NS as GSS IP for the domain?

If you do nslookup and use server as GSS IP, does it resolve it and give you one of the active answers?

Can you capture on the client itself to see what is going on?

Regards,

Kanwal

Hi Kanwal,

I am able to resolve the active answers when we use server as GSS IP. and also now we are able to see GSS as NS record for the domain but only on few global DNSs, for example if server= 8.8.8.8 and set q=ns , the query fails and respond with msg stating no NS record found for the domain. but still i am getting the A record for the domain.

what about the other records like MX record for the domain, how will i implement it if the domain also has mx records, my GSS will act as NS for the domain and will only serve A record, what about the MX queries going to GSS.

Regards,

Veer Pratap     

the second portion of you last statement is correct for the MX records we need to use external DNS.See below extracted from teh CCO notes

Name Server Answers

A name server answer specifies the IP address of a DNS name server to which DNS queries are forwarded from the GSS.

Using the name server forwarding feature, queries are forwarded to an external (non-GSS) name server for resolution, with the answer passed back to the GSS name server, then on to the requesting D-proxy. A name server answer can act as a guaranteed fallback resource, a way to resolve requests that the GSS cannot resolve itself. The GSS may not be able to resolve such requests because of the following reasons:

The requested content is unknown to the GSS.

The resources that typically handle such requests are unavailable.

The external DNS name server answer forwarded by the GSS may be able to perform the following functions:

Use DNS server features that are not supported by the GSS, such as mail exchanger (type MX) records

Use a third-party content provider for failover and error recovery

Provide access to a tiered DNS system

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: