cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Please help troubleshoot why SM-SRE WAAS module can't time sync with NTP server

gwhuang5398
Level 2
Level 2

I have a remote WAAS site where a SM-SRE-900 module is plugged in a 2945 router. Everything is fine except the module can't sync its time to the NTP server. Its NTP was configured right and it can reach the NTP server with no problem. There's no authentication configured. But somehow it can't associate with the NTP server. I have tried manual NTP sync, but it failed too.

The same NTP server and config is also used for many other WAAS site and the CM. They are all fine. I'm running WAAS 4.2.3 build 7. The module isn't showing any other alarms.

Here is some show outputs and the manual NTP sync result. I noticed its poll is only 64 seconds while all other sites are showing 1024 seconds.

waas1#sh ntp status
ntp enabled
ntp authentication disabled
server list:
Server           Key
10.0.0.1         -

remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
==============================================================================
10.0.0.1        66.96.98.9       3 u   43   64  377   16.828  2359370 2421.24

waas1#ntp 10.0.0.1
16 Dec 22:06:20 ntpdate[9835]: bind() fails: Permission denied
Failed to set software clock using NTP server 10.0.0.1

2 Replies 2

Tod Larson
Level 3
Level 3

What the SRE-900 have as it's time?  Use the show clock command.  Does it match within a few minutes of ntp already, if not, and if this is not the first first clock set out of the box, then ntp sync might fail.

You might try to manually set the clock correctly (set clock ... something), then see if the ntp server will sync.

Does your NTP server require authentication?

Patrick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card