Views
Helpful
Replies

Using WCCP on 6500

josephn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to use wccp on the MSFC3 router running on IOS version 12.2(17a)SX4, Early Deployment. Is there any known issue like increase of CPU ?

I came across the following article:

Configuring WCCPv2 on a Supervisor Engine 720 causes high CPU utilization. This problem is resolved in Release 12.2(18)SXD4.

Thanks.

Joseph

8 Replies 8

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

Joseph,

WCCP is not supported on PFC3 platforms until 12.2(18)SXD1, with the absolute minimum recommendation being 12.2(18)SXF5. Depending on what you are using WCCP for (ACNS, WAAS, etc.), the recommended version may change.

Regards,

Zach

josephn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Zach,

If I use Cisco WAAS version 4.0.17 and WCCP enabled on the router, will there be any possible impact to the router?

Thanks.

Joseph

The current recommendation with WAAS is 12.2(18)SXF13. Also make sure that WCCP is configured with:

L2 Forwarding

Mask Assignment

Inbound Redirection (only)

No 'ip wccp redirect exclude in'

The combination of those four settings will ensure redirection happens completely in hardware.

Zach

Hi Zach,

Here is the configuration we intend to run on the existing 6500 as part of POC :

description WAN to Core Switches

ip wccp 61 redirect in

interface Vlan18

description WAN to Core Switches

ip wccp 61 redirect in

interface Vlan200

description WAFS Server Vlan

ip wccp redirect exclude in

interface Vlan929

description Server Vlan

ip wccp 62 redirect in

access-list 100 remark wccp redirect list for outbound traffic

access-list 101 remark wccp redirect list for inbound traffic

Are there anything else we need to do on the configuration or this POC is not safe to run on the existing 6500 due to software version not supported for WCCP and WAAS ?

Thanks.

Joseph

I recommend the following:

1. Run the recommended IOS version.

2. Remove the 'ip wccp redirect exclude in' command from Vlan200. This is only required if you are doing outbound redirection, and can lead to increased CPU on the MSFC.

3. Make sure you have the l2-redirect and mask-assign options configured on the WCCP service in WAAS.

Zach

Hi Zach,

Will there be any impact if we didn't remove the second statement : removing the "ip wccp redirect exclude in" in Cisco WAAS. By the way, the cat6500 is also having this command configured when I do sh run | inc ip wccp, it returns the following command:

ip wccp redirect exclude in

But I couldn't find the above command on the router.

For your information, we had tested using the current version of cat6500 which is 12.2(17a)SX4 and Cisco WAAS version 4.0.17. It was running for two days and due to an outage, we had to disconnect the Cisco WAAS from the 6500. But, the wccp commands were still enabled on the 6500.

There was a slight CPU increase for about nearly two weeks and on the second week when the CPU had increased around 30% (from normal usage around 25% , it went up to 55%), we had removed the WCCP commands from the router. But the CPU was still high after that. The high in CPU was observed at the switch as the router cpu usage is between 1-3% only.

We had opted to reboot the router and then everything was back to normal.

For your information, we had also NAM (Network Analyzer) module installed on the 6500 (WS-SVC-NAM-2). Can the NAM be a cause of the CPU spike ?

Can the increase of CPU is due to WCCP?

regards,

Joseph

It's really a gamble running WCCP on 12.2(17a)SX4. Whatever happens happens, since the feature is not supported on that hardware/software combination. To ensure your success with WAAS and WCCP on the 6500, you should run 12.2(18)SXF13.

Zach

Hi Zach,

Do you have any document or path that show this recomendation to send a customer?

I have a customer that has a Cat6500 with Sup720 and the folow IOS 12.2(18)SXF9.

I need to configure WCCP but I am in doubt about update or not the IOS.

Tks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: