Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Verifying WCCP is working

Not applicable

I have been working on and testing a solution using WAEs to optimise a link between two sites both with WAEs. The TCP promiscuous mode service has been setup on both WAEs and WCCP appears to have successfully negotiated the connection etc to the WCCP router/switch at each end ("sh ip wccp", "sh ip wccp 61 view" and "sh ip wccp 61 view" commands all show the router and WAE are seen etc).

The problem I have is that the show commands to verify that all is working are not giving expected output - we can see connections being optimised under the "show tfo conn summ" (eg. T,T,T,T showing for app configured to do "TFO Only" optimisation)...

however the "show ip wccp" command on each WCCP router always shows "0" for Total Packets s/w Redirected. The packets MUST be getting redirected as the connection appears on the WAE as being optimised.

Any explanations for this would be appreciated.

thanks

David

3 Replies 3

Zach Seils
Level 7
Level 7

David,

What type of routers/switches are you running WCCP on? How is WCCP configured? Note that the 'packets redirected' counter in IOS only shows packets redirected in software. So if you are using WCCP on a hardware-based platform, those counters will not increment.

Thanks,

Zach

Not applicable

Thanks Zach,

I suspected that was the case (only shows software redirections).

We are running WCCP on WS-C4948-10GE in the test core site and WS-C3750G-24TS in the test edge. WCCPv2 is listed as supported for the IOS versions used on both platforms (in Cisco Feature Navigator).

The config has been kept as simple as possible

-on each WCCP switch

ip wccp 61

ip wccp 62

-on core interface connected to server switches and vlan interface of the user vlan at the edge

ip wccp 61 redirect in

-on core interface connecting out to edge switch and edge switch interface connecting to core switch

ip wccp 62 redirect in

We also have a WAAS Central Manager setup to manage configuration of the WAEs. Only the TCP Promiscuous Service has been added for each WAE and uses L2 redirection and return for both, with HASH assignment on the 3750 and MASK assignment configured for the 4948 (seemed to be the only way I could get it to work). Also the WAE at each end is directly connected to each WCCP switch but uses a L3 link.

Are there any other methods of showing the number of packets redirected in hardware or to otherwise confirm all is working?

thanks

David

David,

On those two platforms, there are no counters available to display the number of packets redirected. You are left with the WCCP counters available on the WAE (show wccp gre).

Thanks,

Zach