cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS CM IP Change

robertja
Level 1
Level 1

If I want to change the IP of my Central Manager, is it just a case of changing the IP and all will work?

6 Replies 6

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Robert,

I'm afraid not. After changing the IP address of the CM, you will have to manually register all the devices to the new CM.

There are a couple of less painful ways of doing this, but they may not apply to your setup.

If the devices have the CM configured as a DNS name instead of an IP

In this case, it is enough to change the IP address and the DNS mapping. All the devices will then learn the new address from the DNS and the communication will continue uninterrupted.

If you have a standby CM

In this situation, you can promote the standby CM to primary (which will update all the configuration in all the devices) and then, change the IP on the other one and register it to the active CM.

I hope this helps

Daniel

Thanks Daniel,

I’m going to have a go changing the CM IP later, we’re able to get onto all of the remote WAAS units via SSH so I can change the address they look at for the CM.

We’re still on version 4.1.1c for all devices, is this version still ok to use?

Hi Robert,

Version 4.1.1c is still fully supported, but it's very old, so I would strongly recommend you to upgrade to one of the most recent releases (preferably 4.4.3c) because a lot of improvements were done since then.

Regards

Daniel

To test I’ve put a secondary IP on the CM, and have changed the CM ip address on a test WAAS unit in the office.

CM was 194.101.X.X

Secondary IP is 122.206.X.X

The WAAS unit is still showing the old IP as the registered CM but also the new IP as the current CM. Do I need to de-register the WASS Unit and re-register it?

WAAS-Test-Box#sh cms info

Device registration information :

Device Id                            = 16108XXX

Device registered as                 = WAAS Application Engine

Current WAAS Central Manager         = 122.206.X.X

Registered with WAAS Central Manager = 194.101.X.X

Status                               = Online

Time of last config-sync             = Fri Jan 20 10:35:49 2012

No, there is no need. You can go ahead and de-register the old CM, change the IP and register it to the active CM.

All the configuration should be automatically updated afterwards.

Daniel

Hi,

Ideally the best way is to configure the Central Manager Address on the WAEs as the FQDN and the WAEs should be able to resolve this name using DNS. In this case even if you change the IP Address of the CM, you don't need to de-register and register again, since the WAEs will still be able to reach the new IP CM using the FQDN DNS resolution.

Presently if your WAEs have the CM IP address configured, you can simply go to the WAEs CLI and configure the Central manager address as shown below:

WAE-512-1(config)#central-manager address ?

WORD  IP address or hostname

WAE-512-1(config)#central-manager address cm2.waasfarm.com

Once you configure the above, just check the sh cms info output and you can see the WAE is shown as registered with cm2.waasfarm.com and not the IP Address.

WAE-512-1#sh cms info

Device registration information :

Device Id                            = 1625

Device registered as                 = WAAS Application Engine

Current WAAS Central Manager         = cm2.waasfarm.com

Registered with WAAS Central Manager = cm2.waasfarm.com

Status                               = Online

Time of last config-sync             = Fri Jan 20 19:34:10 2012

CMS services information :

Service cms_ce is running

However make sure that the WAEs are able to reach the CM using the FQDN.

Regards

Kiran,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: