Views
Helpful
Replies

WAAS doesn't optimize, it stops traffic instead

rlopez
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I installed WAAS in inline mode, the inline card was in shutdown state, when I apply the no shutdown command in central site we lost communication to the other sites. Originally we tried to implement WCCP (topology3) since we have two MPLS links and we need them both to be optimized but when we aplly wccp commands on the routers we also lost communication, that's why we decide to make a test with inline (topology inline).

I'm attaching routers and waas configuraction for WCCP that we removed when we made the inline test.

Any ideas why this is happening?

The WAAS version is 4.1.5c

12 Replies 12

smnambia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I still see wccp being used on both edge and core wae.The wccp configuration is still active and not disabled.

Based on the router configuration the only reason why wccp failed could be the fact that the wccp redirect-list is applied only for 61 service and not 62

so on both edge and core router you need to have

ip wccp 61 redirect-list 101

and

ip wccp 62 redirect-list 101

Also if you no longer want to test wccp and only want to test inline then first disable wccp on both the edge and core wae's by entering the "no wccp version 2" command in config mode and then do a no shut to the inline group and check if it still fails

I think the wccp redirect-list issue could be the reason why the traffic was black holed when wccp was enabled.Please also try wccp with using the same redirect-list for both service 61 and 62 and see if that resolves the issue.

Regards

-Smita Nambiar

Cisco PDI HelpDesk

http://www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

Hi Smita,

That show run is when I was trying to use wccp, currently they don'y have any configuration of wccp, the routers don't have it eihter. we had to create that access-list (101) in order WAAS could be synchronized otherwise edge wae couldn't reach central manager, besides applpication like mail or sap or so they had delay in response time, so we had to add those servers to the access-list and they stay out of the optimization.

I used the no wccp version 2 command but when I applied the no shut command to the inline group we have no communication to the other site, so I had to shut them down again.

I'm sending the current show run of both wae.

Regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the confirmation that only inline interception is enabled and central site losses access when inline interception is enabled.

One thing I noted in the Core and Edge Router configuration is that you are using BGP.

In the past have seen issues with BGP where the WAE was dropping the BGP packet.  This is because the WAE
counts as a hop and the packet was reaching it's max TTL

WAAS device  is counted as another "hop".  So, each WAAS device that the BGP communication passes through must be counted as a "hop".

Could you please increase the hop count for BGP on both edge and core router and see if the issue still occurs when you do a no-shutdown for the inline group on the wae's?

Regards

-Smita

Cisco PDI Helpdesk

Hi Smita,

Thanks for your help, I will do the test tomorrow, besides the fact of the "hops" do you see anything else that I have to review? just in case that increasing the hop count doesn't work.

I'll let you know the result.

Regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Just one other clarification I needed was are you using two wae's each at both remote and DC site or is it one wae at each site with two inline groups?

As per topology diagram I see two wae devices,but as per the sh run that you have sent me from the remote and data center wae devices, I see only the inlinegroup1/1 configured as below.

interface InlineGroup 1/1

inline vlan all

no autosense

bandwidth 100

full-duplex

shutdown

exit

but I dont see InlineGroup1/0?

Also make sure the routers and switch to which the inline group wan and lan ports are connected  to are also set for 100-full speed and duplex setting

Otherwise the wae config looks fine to me.Let me know the results of testing after increasing the bgp hop count.

Regards

-Smita Nambiar

Cisco PDI Helpdesk

Hi Smita,

There are two wae in each location.

It wasn't neccesary to inrease the hop count for bgp, I could make WAAS optimize in both links but the thing now is that email delivery is too slow, users complain that they don´t get their emails from central site, and some other applications don't work, like the access to the VCenter of VMWare to manage virtual machines. I checked the connections and the reports of WAAS and it showed that there were a lot of optimized connections but the users are not happy with the result. Why the traffic is having this behavior? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Just curious how was the inline issue fixed...was it a cabling issue or something else?

Regarding the slowness for email application...can we get more information on the exact symptom?

Are users seeing duplicate emails when a single email is sent or is the client seeing any error message when sending emails or is it that just users never receive any emails?

What version of Outlook are we using?

Also are we seeing the Outlook connections being optimized on both the wae's when we enter the sh stat conn | i and when the issue is occurring?

What other specific application is seeing slowness? Are users seeing optimization benefit for any applications or is it all applications are slow?

If all applications are slow then we will need to check speed and duplex settings across the remote and data center sites.

When users are accessing Vmware Vcenter are we seeing the client connection to the Vcenter server on both wae's (you can use the sh stat conn | i )and is it showing up as optimized or pass-through?

Following is the Release Note link which mentions WAAS 4.1.5c open caveats

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/waas/waas/v415/release/notes/ws415xrn.html#wp70844

We do have ddts CSCsy99732 related to email, but we need to make sure the symptom users are seeing is same as mentioned in the bug.This ddts is resolved in WAAS version 4.2

Also what is WAN Bandwidth and latency for this WAAS deployment?

Regards

-Smita

Hi Smita,
The inline issue was due a cabling issue in the remote site. The symptom is that when we apply the no shut command on the inline groups the emails from central site to remote site start queueing and they don't leave the queue, the emails from remote site to central site are delivered ok. The version of exchange is 2003 SP2. I didn't apply the command but I saw the connections through the web interface and yes the equipments seem to be applying optimization politics (default ones). We made another test with the other link (replication) and the file transfer was really slow, about 4Gb paased in 11 hours, and that was only the 20% of the amount we are trying to pass, the other three transfer fail to pass.
The user haven't seen any benefit for any application, as they got problems with email they decide to not use WAAS until we find out what the problem is and we solve it.
The bandwidth is 1024 in data center and 768 in remote site, i don't have the latency right now.
Regards,
Alex

Hi Alex,

Could you check the output of sh statistics ip output on all wae's to check if traffic is fragmented and hence dropped?

Just look for the Fragments created counter and see if the number is incrementing when the issue occurs

Also another way would be to do a ping from the central wae to remote wae and check if packets are being dropped due to fragmentation

WAE#ping -s

eg:ping -s 1460

Also please check if there could be speed duplex mismatches that can drop packets.

It will be best if we get on a webex session and get access to the set-up and troubleshoot.

Is this a POC/pre-production WAAS deployment.If yes could you please contact your Cisco Account team and have them open a pdi case(http://www.cisco.com.go/pdihelpdesk)

Regards

-Smita

Hi Smita,

In one of the links (replication) there is no fragmentation

EDGE-PLANTA-GDL-REP#sh statistics ip
IP statistics
-------------
Total packets in                 = 2479
with invalid header             = 0
with invalid address            = 0
forwarded                       = 0
unknown protocol                = 0
discarded                       = 0
delivered                       = 2479
Total packets out                = 2378
dropped                         = 0
dropped (no route)              = 0
Fragments dropped after timeout  = 0
Reassemblies required            = 0
Packets reassembled              = 0
Packets reassemble failed        = 0
Fragments received               = 0
Fragments failed                 = 0
Fragments created                = 0

but in the other I got this

EDGE-PLANTA-GDL#sh statistics ip
IP statistics
-------------
Total packets in                 = 35287583
with invalid header             = 0
with invalid address            = 0
forwarded                       = 2
unknown protocol                = 0
discarded                       = 0
delivered                       = 17578526
Total packets out                = 35697204
dropped                         = 0
dropped (no route)              = 2
Fragments dropped after timeout  = 0
Reassemblies required            = 484592
Packets reassembled              = 242296
Packets reassemble failed        = 0
Fragments received               = 242287
Fragments failed                 = 0
Fragments created                = 484574

doing the ping test I didn't see any increment in the counters. I checked the duplex and speed and forced to full and 100 in all devices routers, switches and WAEs.

This is a production deployment. I'll make other test in the replication link in about 20 min (starting at 12:45 pm Mexico time), we will send a backup of 20 Gb aprox. so if you want to make the webex sesion would be helpful

Hi Alex,

Since this is a production deployment.Could you please open a TAC case?

For replication traffic if you are using application accelerator mode,try just TFO+LZ policy instead of TFO DRE and LZ and check if that helps performance.

Regards

-Smita

Thank you Smita,

I'll continue with TAC

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: