Views
Helpful
Replies

DLP for outgoing email with Cisco Spam and Virus Blocker

abarel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I read somewhere that one can implement DLP (Data Lose Prevention) with the Cisco Spam and Virus Blocker. What I mean is scan email content to identify certain patterns (for example: credit card numbers ; certain keywords - like "confidential" ;  etc.) and handle the email appropriately.

I wanted to verify whether it is really true that you can implement that on outgoing email from the internal corporate network where the CSVB resides?

I read in the user guide that this is done with Filters but wasn't sure you could implement these filters on an outgoing mail policy.

Please advise.

Addie

3 Replies 3

Steven DiStefano
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I recently saw a poat or an email (forgot) where the following was discussed:

Access the Mail  Policies > Outgoing Content Filters to begin creating  a Outbound DLP Policy.  From there, there are several "Smart Identifiers" to  choose from whether from the Message or Body Attachment, or the Message Body  itself. 
From there, you need to configure the Content Filter Actions  which maps actions to matching DLP traffic. 

Seems to answer?

Steve

bethingt
Level 1
Level 1

Here is a guide I created a while back that shows how to setup an outgoing content filter. The blocker has built in dictionary that you can import that has key words for filtering.

In addition to BEthington's guide, I should point out there are content filters specifically designed to catch certain types of sensitive information. (Social Security numbers for example) Once your outbound policy is configured per Brian's guide, you can then apply the appropriate content filter to search for the type of info you specify and then apply the action you would prefer. Once caveat to keep in mind is that the types of data that are recognized is limited at this time.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: