cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Export to Mirror fails with error, no docs on what this does

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

On Backup and Restore the options for Export to Mirror result in an error that "The Mirror.config does not exist".  There also appears to be no documentation on what this does.  I assume this is an option to have 2 RV0xx's and to have one mirror the config of the other, but I'm not seeing how one would setup that option.

9 Replies 9

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

The startup config file is automatically copied to the mirror config file every 24 hours if there is no reboot of config change in the last 24 hours. When the admin regrets certain config change made to RV0xx V3, he/she can copy the mirror config file to the startup config file, thus restoring the last good configuration. On the current shipping RV0xx products, there is only startup config file being stored on the flash memory, i.e. no mirror config.

Makes sense, however the error still is undocumented unless what you said is documented it will create confusion.

Great observation! Will relay the suggestion to the team to provide better explanation in the admin guide and online help regarding of *mirror* issue .

Benjaminbu04
Level 1
Level 1

Have you tried export mirror again after the initial error?  If not do you mind trying that for me and let me know what happens.

Te-Kai Liu
Level 7
Level 7

>"The Mirror.config does not exist".

The message showed since the router has not been stable for the past 24 hours. If you leave the router alone for one day, you should be able to export the mirror config file. Please let us know if the issue persists.

Since we have zero mirror documenation I'm going blind here (it'd be nice for you guys to post a FAQ about mirroring in the documents section), but you're saying after we make major changes, have confirmed and tested the changes and need to commit those to a mirror to ensure a seemless transition to the mirror if needed we have to wait 24 hours?  It should not be Cisco's decision how long this wait is.  If an admin is positive they should be allowed to do it.  Also, given the size of the config is very small, why not save more than one config on the mirror and let us rollback several versions of necessary?

The mirror config is to help the admin to recover from an unexpected scenario where the admin regrets the configuration changes he/she made earlier, thus a choice of 24 hours of stable operation. If the admin has reached a satisfactory configuration, he/she is supposed to export/backup the config as a best practice.

If they're exporting as best practice why the mirror?  I still think 4 or 5 undo levels isn't unacceptable unless you're really at the limits of storage on the device.

I'm gathering here, again without any documentation, that the "mirror" is actually just an undo level on the device not a real mirror to another device.  If that's the case "mirror" is a poor choice of words.  Fallback would be a better choice.  Everyone here was thrilled with the "prospect" of having 2 RV0xx in the rack and if one failed the mirror would take over, but unless I've misunderstood the posts here that's not the case.  Cisco will need to be VERY careful how it markets this feature or you will have disappointed customers.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: