cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

My wants for the portal

beowulfs
Level 1
Level 1

Either don't use Adobe Flash, or provide a mobile / low bandwidth site for iPhones, iPads, and other devices.

Subnet Traversal:

My map:

Asa private 10.10.x.x connected to SA540 public and UC520 Public
Sa540 public 10.10.x.x private 192.168.x.x
Uc520 public 10.10.x.x private 192.168.y.x
Thunderbolt 192.168.y.x connected to UC520 private

I want the thunderbolt to see the Asa as well as the sa540 and it's network.  The uc520 and sa540 already do this.  I have full access across both networks from both networks.  Asa is only firewall. Uc520 and sa540 are in router only mode.  No access lists, no firewalls, no nat/pat.

13 Replies 13

dcorley
Level 1
Level 1

@marcos hernandez:

Marcos, for your requirements definition for mobile/low bandwidth endpoints where either bandwidth or CPU/memory resources are relatively constrained, suggest including this as problem to solve. We'll figure out in engineering best way to allow users to enable/disable the function... makes sense to enable/disable on the device UI. Concerning default enabled/disabled config, we'll need to discuss this internally,... pros and cons to both approaches.

Comments, suggestions appreciated from all...

Dave

beowulfs
Level 1
Level 1

just remembered some more things:

different options for connecting to device, like ssh, telnet, rdp, vnc.  this could be some kind of java or activex wrapper, like the asa plugins.

I am tracking this as "Ability to Telnet/SSH from the Portal". VNC/RDP had already been added to the list.

Thanks,

Marcos

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

Can I ask why you'd have the ASA (enterprise class) uplink to a SA520 (small business clas) when the ASA can do everything the SA can do and much more and with a much better track record for reliablty and longevity over any vendor's SMB products (not just Cisco's)?  Just wondering becase we also use ASAs in some locations and never considered using an SA upstream from the ASA.

As for Flash on iPad/iPhone, you really should let Jobs know you want it.  It should't be Cisco's problem to rewrite their code to make it work on products that dont' support their platform.  Since Cisco has been asking about costs and fees for the portal once it's live, I vote for no expenses beyond what it takes to make what you have work.  This also leaves me out with my Windows Mobile phone, but my next phone will be an Android based phone and Adobe has said there will be Flash for that by year's end.

Thanks...

It was costing me more money trying to make them work than it was to get two Asa 5505.  Plus i needed ipsec for iphones.  theyre just gigabit routers now.  Check my other posts.  Flash is too CPU intensive for mobile IMHO.

Not to dive immediately to an engineering solution,... but this same engineering team attempted to implement and run a Java-based  call control software on an IP phone a few years ago. The benefits we were attempting to achieve were abstraction of a lot of manual development for such things as memory garbage collection, so that our engineering team would not have to build these functions from scratch. A phone must have crisp performance/response. Base Java overhead adversely affected user interface performance. Button push to user feedback response was not only poor, it was un-predictable. We abandoned the Java project and moved to a C/C++ implementation on the phone. We also considered implementing flash  to allow a jazzier UI for end users (SB people who use the phone daily). The benefit would have been a more pleasing UE for the end user and a more extensible development environment for UI-based funcitons. Again, poor UI response drove us to Build our own C/C++ media rendering engine for graphics, audio and other UIs on the phone.

Likely our first attempt at smartphone service delivery will be usingthe native browser on the device or perhaps a downloadable app that does not require/use flash. We're pretty gun-shy about adversely affecting UI response and battery performance on a phone...especially when we have little or no control over that phone's operating environment.

Dave

beowulfs
Level 1
Level 1

sounds good to me.  i was just using java as an example.  don't mind how it gets there, just that it does. I do a hell of a lot of management from my iPad and my iPhone.  I just wish logmein would make a rescue technician console app.

Another want:

The other thing I was going to add was cross vlan / subnet log on.  Being able to access CUE on a default UC5XX box is a perfect example.  i can't currently do this.  i get page cannot be displayed.  i think the problem is with http / https and redirects.  i can get to the login page if i paste "Web/Common/Login.do" at the end of the pop up url in the browser connection.  when i click login though, i get bumped back to an http (instead of https) page and i get page cannot be displayed. url is the same otherwise.  still has the Web/Common/Login.do that i pasted in there.  i can't get any further than this regardless of what i paste in the url with https.

Please try with "Fix Headers" and "Fix URLs"  set in the Connection tab of the Edit Device popup.  We've had to implement these fixups to work around the vagaries of HTML content.  We will almost certainly set up default profiles for different known devices to make this a little easier down the road.

Andy

had to use fix headers only.  fix urls and use https did not work.  Thanks!

I know this is going to irritate some, but I still must disagree with the current need for iPad/iPhone support.  Let's first remember that for many of these sites there's a HUGE amount of information.  Our biggest site has several dozen IP devices and is preparing to add even more.  It's not a great deal of fun on a 24" 1920x1200 monitor let alone on a 10" netbook.  How is it going to be very useful on a 9" iPad or a 3" iPhone?  You 'd be able to see only a small fraction of the information.

Let's also not forget it's not Cisco's fault that Jobs has refused to support an industry standard used by a huge majoirty of web sites. I'd rather Cisco spend their time and $ enhancing or adding new features to the existing feature set than to support consumer electronics.  Remember, I'm in the same boat, I can't run the TBA portal from my Windows Mobile phone either and it's much more directed at the business world than iPhone/iPads are.  Now for those of you with a Blackberry or Android phone you'll have Flash later in 2010.  My next phone will be an Android for this reason.  If Blackberry and Android can run Flash, surely those flashy (pun intended) iWhatevers can run Flash...

Technologically, a non-flash topology representation in the future is certainly possible.  We store the complete topology and device list in an XML format that could, for example, be used to generate an SVG vector graphic and then be rasterized out to any image format.   Another option is that we write an HTML5 application to replace the flash movie.  Obviously we're talking about a pretty significant effort to move to a HTML5 version, but it's not an impossibility and is probably even inevitable in the years ahead as HTML5 becomes the norm.  But for the purposes of the trial we're currently concentrating on the flash topology representation.  Your feedback will help marketing determine how adding support for mobile devices (read iPhone) gets prioritized. 

Question - would the 'Inventory' view be more important to you to be able to access from a mobile device?  Seems like navigation would be quicker by selecting from a (searchable) device list rather than scrolling around on a topology map from a very small window.

-mike

Inventory is better yes. in fact i don't think topology needs to be shown on mobile devices by default.  i guess you could put a link in there for a full site, which would still allow flash capable mobile OS's like Froyo to access it, but like Brian said, it'd be pretty useless on such a small screen.  In fact even for regular pc and mac usage, i think i'd be using the topology very rarely. Mainly to see what's hooked up to what for troubleshooting purposes and to give the client a logical view of his network.

It looks like doing it that way would significantly reduce the amount of recoding needed, because the inventory view looks like it could be rebuilt rather quickly using that xml list and some html5 or current html and javascript.

With the improvements and interaction that we are adding to the Inventory page, we have decided to rename it and call it "Dashboard". In Drop 3, you will be able to define whether you want this Dashboard to be your landing page, or the Topology instead.

Marcos