Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Portal Feedback - 05/06/10

Have you been hearing any complaints about the 4400 needing reboots frequently? The thunderbolt works like a charm, because while on vacation I got notification after notification about the wap being down. And it’s been going down every few days and needing a reboot. Heard anything about this?

Vince Tinirello

7 Replies 7

Vince,

I will RMA you a new unit.

Thanks,

Marcos

Michael Holloway
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Vince,

Yes, have a look at this thread:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/message/40748

This could be a WAP4410N v1 hardware issue you are running into.  The workaround is to lock the uplink port at 100Mb/s, gig-e seems to cause a random lock-up problem.  The symptoms others in the trial have reported with the hardware are that the wireless connection comes up, but won't pass any IP traffic, including DHCP.

However, another thing to consider is the default ESW port roles, which could be shutting down the port if more than 3 IP (macs?) are detected on a single port, have a read starting on page 4 of this thread from the trial:

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/thread/11221?start=45&tstart=5

My money is on it being the gig-e issue that others have seen.  Make sure that you lock it to 100Mb/s on the uplink.

-mike

Having the same issue - but only in the last week.  Will lock my port to 100mbit, thanks.

I LOATHE the default "smartport" behavior of the ESX switches.  This caused me huge amounts of grief.  IMHO, a switch should be a switch at first use, then smarts should be turned on by the partner/client, they shouldn't be "smart" by default and lock out more than 2 mac addresses.

Very bad defaults on these, especially for SME where everybody is in a hurry.  Troubleshooting this via the inside guys was a complete failure - we finally figured it out on our own.

Agreed.  We've received word from the ESW product marketing manager that they recognize this as a problem for many users and they intend to loosen up the defaults in a future release.

-mike

And this is why I like Cisco...  Responsive, and listening.  (Although sometimes I wish the problems were identified earlier, I appreciate the listening and responding almost even more).  I have really been championing Cisco with my peers, even though some are still bummed about past sins... ;-)

I have had the same problem in the past week or so at multiple locations as well.  What could have caged recently to cause this?  Locking an N WAP to 100Mb/sec seems to be illogical at best given N should give you well more than that.

Hi Brian,

In this hardware version of the WAP4410 this is the only workaround. It is a hardware flaw that has been corrected in the second version of the product.

Thanks,

Marcos