cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VNC connections fail with UltraVNC

Brian Bergin
Level 4
Level 4

When I have UltraVNC installed on customers' systems I'm unable to get the .vnc file to launch locally.  I get the attached error.  RDP and HTTP works perfectly, but we have hundreds of UVNC installs out there so any help here would be great.

Thanks...

36 Replies 36

OK Danny, I think this is where we may have the problem. Do not change the port on TBA. Leave it at 5900. When you establish the connection, the portal will select port 11700. This is the port that you need to use ON THE CLIENT SIDE. In other words:

VNC client >>> Server IP:11700

Thunderbolt Appliance >>>> Maps 11700 to 5900

VNC server >>> Listens on 5900

Where is this setting you are refering to:

VNC client >>> Server IP:11700

This you do on the VNC client app itself. For my VONC client it looks like this:

I think we've determined the source of the problem with UltraVNC reading the .vnc files, I've manually patched ciscovar.com with a fix if you want to give it a try. Problem was that the .vnc file was generated with only unix \n linefeeds, instead of a DOS \r\n CRLF (carriage return/linefeed) at the end of each line. This was pretty evident once we opened the .vnc file in Windows notepad.exe (although wordpad.exe dealt with the linefeeds properly). Looks like some of the other VNC clients (tightVNC, realVNC) accept either format, so we just hadn't run into the bug while testing.

-mike

Re: VNC connections fail with UltraVNC

I tried it again and still get the same error.  The cut and paste works but using the Cisco_VNC_Connection does not.

Danny

Sorry for the false alarm, it's patched up properly now to ciscovar.com. I just tested with an UltraVNC client on a Windows XP box and it read the file correctly.

-mike

Re: VNC connections fail with UltraVNC

Thats seems to have fixed it, works great.  Thanks for you great help.

Danny