cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112: Can two devices share same VoIP number/account?

bradharvey
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

My question is quite simple, but I cannot find a definitive answer. 

I would like to use the Cisco SPA112 to connect both an analog phone, and an analog fax machine to the same VoIP number/account. 

So, when someone calls the VoIP number, the fax machine will detect the fax call and receive the fax. Otherwise, the analog phone rings for someone to pick up. 

Is this possible? 

Thanks, 

Brad 

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
That will depend entire on the voice service provider.

But the SPA112 can physically connect to two analog devices at the same time....so it doesn't necessarily depend ENTIRELY on the VOIP provider, I would have thought? 

Let's assume the VOIP provider can support it... will the SPA112 allow the two analog devices to share the same VOIP login? 

Thanks 

@bradharvey wrote:

But the SPA112 can physically connect to two analog devices at the same time....so it doesn't necessarily depend ENTIRELY on the VOIP provider, I would have thought? 

The SPA has two analog ports at the back.  How will the SPA know which of the two is being signaled?  It's not a hub.  Each of those ports will require a username/password.  The username is usually the DID. 

I know because I've got an SPA 112 at home.

I've done some more research and it's a feature called SIP parallel (or dual) forking:

Parallel forking

Parallel forking means that multiple devices can ring at the same time when a call is being received. In this scenario, the proxy server will split the INVITE among all the devices that have been registered for that particular number.

When the call is answered on one particular device, the OK response is sent back to the originator. Other devices generate a CANCEL response, so that only a single SIP session is initiated.

I guess the question I am asking is whether the SPA112 supports parallel forking over its two analog ports. 

Like I said, it will depend on your voice provider.
Some voice provider will only allow one address to access the account detail. Other will allow more than one.

Agree, it can be done at the provider end, but I believe some ATA devices also have PBX features such as hunt groups and parallel forking.

In other words, it can be done at the ATA end (not just the provider end), with the provider seeing only a single VoIP registration. Some of the Obihai ATA devices can do this, I am led to believe. 

So I think my question is still valid - whether the SPA112 can support forking and hunt groups.... but after doing a lot of searching online, I suspect the answer is no. 

Well, the question needs to be rephrased to be taken well. You are asking for two features supported at the same time.

1. More than one UAC registered to the same account. In such case all devices registered are receiving INVITE, one of then can pick up, others receive CANCEL then. It's well known "standard SIP service", but multiple registrations per account may not be forbidden on particular PBX (or it may be paid feature).

2. UAC registered (single or multiple times) to the account related to multiple targets; incoming INVITE routed to particular target according URI value. While it's possible, I consider it not so standard SIP feature. I'm unsure SPA112 supports it.   It needs to be just tried, but I'm unable to do it as I'm on holidays.