Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA112 Echo on other end

Pyromanci
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm not sure at the moment if I should have posted this on my service providers site or here, but since this issue only happens with this new SPA112 I thought I would try here first.

I was going to use the SPA112 to hook it up to our alarm panel, but after I got it connected to our asterisk server I noticed something very strange. The when you place a call with the SPA112 there is always a echo on the other end of the line. Weather or not it's to a another extension or to a outside line.

No other extensions (Polycom's phones and a SPA2102-NA) have this problem. At the moment I'm at a loss on how to fix it or even being to trouble shoot it.

10 Replies 10

nseto
Level 6
Level 6

Is the unit using the latest firmware?  Is it running mostly the default settings?  If not, can you factory reset and just have the proxy and user ID settings set up with the asterisk and retry the call.   Have you tried another analog phone with the ata?

I was on the 1.3.1. I did already try reseting all the settings and using different analog phones. So i figured what the heck lets reset it again and reload the firmware. So i reset it, loaded the firmware, and reset it again. Now there is no echo. Now there is a new problem dealing with the asterisk alarmreceiver module, but that i believe i should direct at asterisk.

Any luck on finding the problem? I have the same issue.

Did you ever find a solution?  I have the same problem.

I recently bought an SPA112, I like the box but I am also experiencing echo.

The echo is only heard on the remote end.

When setting “Echo Canc Enable” to NO the echo is extremely bad, when setting it to YES it is a lot better but still noticeably there.

I have mostly default settings and I am running the latest firmware: 1.3.5 (004) Jul 31 2014

I bought this box to replace my ancient Cisco ATA186 which doesn’t have this problem.

Is there anything I can do to get rid of the Echo completely, it can’t be that a 15 year old ATA is better than the SPA112?

Hello, 

My name is Anton and I am part of the Cisco SMB Support Team.

Can I recommend some steps if not yet tested?

1. Upgrade to latest firmware 1.4.1 SR5:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/unified-communications/spa112-2-port-phone-adapter/model.html#~tab-downloads

2. Set the Jitter Level to Low.

3. Change the Preferred Codec to G711a.

Kind Regards!

Anton Gekov
Technical Consulting Engineer – Level 1
Global CX Centers – Small Business Support

So, this is on the Voice --> Line 1 settings. Do we also choose "Jitter
Buffer Adjustment" to yes?

Then, on preferred Codec, do we also set "Use Pref Codec Only" to yes?

Jitter buffer adjustment may help or may make things worse. I guess the "no" will be better, but just try both.

Use Pref Codec Only have nothing to do with echo treatment, but it shall be set to yes all the times, unless it doesn't work with particular VoIP provider. By the way, if you are connected to a US or Japan service provider, G711u should be used instead of G711a.

jbaldarrago
Level 1
Level 1

I have the same problem with Asterisk, much echo on external calls, this distorts the marking

tfn220189
Level 1
Level 1

can't solve this issue even after upgrade, reset and use almost default settings.