Views
Helpful
Replies

How to read Jabber IM chat files?

ksavochkin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there. 

I am wondering how can I read Jabber IM chat history files? 

When I try SQL DB Browser to open the local .db file it says that it is not a db file. 

People on the Internet say that for now those files are encrypted. 

How can I open it in 2021 year?

There are two of them:

C:\Users\"CURRENTUSER"\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\History\"CURRENTUSER.com.db.v3"

C:\Users\"CURRENTUSER"\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\History\"CURRENTUSER.db"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

AFAIK there is no programmatic way to extract the chats from the encrypted .db files - i.e. the reason for their encryption

The end-user can save the chats by logging into Jabber, opening the chat in question and right-clicking the window - obviously not efficient/automate-able for bulk export.

For admin-level access to chat history (e.g. for compliance/legal), you will want to explore setting up an external database as an archive

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

AFAIK there is no programmatic way to extract the chats from the encrypted .db files - i.e. the reason for their encryption

The end-user can save the chats by logging into Jabber, opening the chat in question and right-clicking the window - obviously not efficient/automate-able for bulk export.

For admin-level access to chat history (e.g. for compliance/legal), you will want to explore setting up an external database as an archive