Views
Helpful
Replies

How to read Jabber IM chat files?

ksavochkin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there. 

I am wondering how can I read Jabber IM chat history files? 

When I try SQL DB Browser to open the local .db file it says that it is not a db file. 

People on the Internet say that for now those files are encrypted. 

How can I open it in 2021 year?

There are two of them:

C:\Users\"CURRENTUSER"\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\History\"CURRENTUSER.com.db.v3"

C:\Users\"CURRENTUSER"\AppData\Local\Cisco\Unified Communications\Jabber\CSF\History\"CURRENTUSER.db"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

AFAIK there is no programmatic way to extract the chats from the encrypted .db files - i.e. the reason for their encryption

The end-user can save the chats by logging into Jabber, opening the chat in question and right-clicking the window - obviously not efficient/automate-able for bulk export.

For admin-level access to chat history (e.g. for compliance/legal), you will want to explore setting up an external database as an archive

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

AFAIK there is no programmatic way to extract the chats from the encrypted .db files - i.e. the reason for their encryption

The end-user can save the chats by logging into Jabber, opening the chat in question and right-clicking the window - obviously not efficient/automate-able for bulk export.

For admin-level access to chat history (e.g. for compliance/legal), you will want to explore setting up an external database as an archive

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: