Views
Helpful
Replies

Jabber Guest & IM

lipengrd1
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, fellas!

Can Jabber Guest integrate with instant Messaging(IM) ? And how?

I want to add IM ability between a Jabber Guest and a remote agent when they establish a video communication.@

6 Replies 6

dstaudt
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Jabber Guest does not provide or integrate with any IM capabilities.  I believe the customer->business IM use-case is primarily covered by the Cisco Unified Web Interaction Manager product:

Cisco Unified Web Interaction Manager - Products & Services - Cisco

So we are not possible to integrate Jabber SDK into our web application to provide IM feature with customers/guests, please confirm dstaudt

The IM & Presence APIs, CAXL in particular, may be a possibility, though with a few caveats (The CAXL API is sometimes classified under the 'Jabber SDK' umbrella:)

https://developer.cisco.com/site/im-and-presence/

- IM endpoints are associated with pre-provisioned, named users on the CUCM/IM&P server, which has a licensing implication.  It may be possible to dynamically create new IM&P users (i.e. via the AXL API) and/or re-use a 'pool' of pre-provisioned user accounts depending on how many customers are actively using the site and IM features

- The IM&P API called CAXL (which is a JavaScript library intended to be used in a browser for IM&P functionality) was designed for use in enterprise (inside the firewall) scenarios.  It uses BOSH (an XMPP over HTTP protocol) as its transport, so it may be possible to tunnel this through a firewall, however there may be connectivity/security implications.

- There is no direct integration or connection between Jabber Guest and the IM&P APIs, so the application would need to handle all correlation and synchronization of Jabber Guest and IM&P sessions.

@dstaudt

Thanks for your replies. lets make a bit change to the workflow and discuss if this scenario will work

1. external customers access our web application

2. the customer initials IM chat request, then the request will be routed to server side(our app server)

3. there is a chat bot(valid IM&P user),  which is always available, chat bot will communicate with target user.

The chat requests will be triggered from the server not client, is that possible ?

I think we are describing the same type of solution

As you say, your application server would instantiate and connect a pool of IM&P user accounts, and then assign temporarily one of those user accounts to a web visitor.  Your app would relay messages to/from the 'bot' account managed by the web server (i.e. via ajax) on behalf of the visitor, which could then start IM sessions with any other regular user on the IM&P system (e.g. experts in the organization.) 

I appreciate your message again. Please let me ask two more questions

1. As it is described, the IM/Presence API is javascript based, but I assuming my 'bot' account needs to be working in the web server side with some Java API's to communicate with Jaber server, any gaps on this ?

2. I asked this from another discussion, but would like to confirm here. For the user account(for both regular users and bots), can I use company accounts, e.g. xxx@ibm.com instead of having to register Jabber ID for each?, I think I have seen some descriptions about LDPA configuration, but I am kind of confusing. Thanks.