cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Pop-up Cisco Jabber Chat Window from a Web-page(v 10.5)

Absaar Javed
Level 4
Level 4

Hello

I am looking for a way using which i can pop-up Cisco Jabber chat window with chat to a particular user in my organization.

For example the i have jabber id of a user, let say it is example@example.com, I have a button on a web-page, now what I want is to open chat with example@example.com, on clicking that button on my web-page. Kindly guide me how to achieve this task.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

You can use xmpp links to handle group chat.  There's no single URI for it - you have to do things like join or invite with different URIs.  Here's the specification, which should help you sort out what to do.

XEP-0045: Multi-User Chat

Also, here's a link that includes optional means of using the xmpp: URI for chatting, specifying groups and roster:

XEP-0147: XMPP URI Scheme Query Components

EDIT:  I just tested one of the xmpp: URIs for inviting someone to chat, and it didn't work.  I'm going to contact the engineers to find out if this is supported or not. 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

npetrele
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There's no single way to do that.  I used materialize.js in the demo posted here:

Jabber SDK Chat Demo with Material Design

You could use jQuery UI to do it, or simply write your own Javascript to pop up the window.  I suggest you look at the demo programs that come with the Jabber SDK (CAXL), and perhaps look at my demo linked above for examples to follow. The demo programs that come with the SDK are simpler, so probably a preferable place to start.

Thankyou Nicolas.

The example you have shared above, is performing a set of jabber guest functionality, using SDK, what I am looking for is a solution which simply pop-up the Cisco Jabber client's chat window with chat started with a particular user. I have looked in to SDK demos, but am unable to find a proper solution for that kind of thing. I would like to have a solution using javascript/jquery as you have suggested above.

Regards

Okay, I misunderstood.  You want to use the native Jabber client, correct?  Ok, then this is the standard way of doing what you want, although if I recall correctly, this doesn't work as expected on earlier versions of Cisco Jabber.  I have to run right now, but I'll double-check on that when I get back. Anyway, here's the example URI (ignore the mail icon thing - the forum software is putting that in):

xmpp:example@example.com?message;subject=Testing%20Message;body=This%20is%20a%20test

thankyou Nicolas.

yes, i needed chat window from native jabber client installed on user's computer, but the chat window pop-up has to be triggered from a web-page. Also i have latest version of jabber i.e. 10.5.

regards

The example above should work for you.  im: is an alternative to xmpp: if for some reason xmpp: doesn't work.

Just wrap it in an "a href" tag, with the above example in the quotes for href="".

Thank you very much Nicholas.

The above example for using native jabber client is working perfectly fine.

Can i use this XMPP link to start a group chat with more than one user? If yes what is the limit of user I can have in a group chat?

Regards

You can use xmpp links to handle group chat.  There's no single URI for it - you have to do things like join or invite with different URIs.  Here's the specification, which should help you sort out what to do.

XEP-0045: Multi-User Chat

Also, here's a link that includes optional means of using the xmpp: URI for chatting, specifying groups and roster:

XEP-0147: XMPP URI Scheme Query Components

EDIT:  I just tested one of the xmpp: URIs for inviting someone to chat, and it didn't work.  I'm going to contact the engineers to find out if this is supported or not. 

Here's the documentation for URIs in Jabber for Windows 10.6:

Cisco Jabber 10.6 Deployment and Installation Guide - Cisco Jabber Reference Information [Cisco Jabber for Windows] - C…

Apparently, you create a chat room this way (this invites the two people msmith and amckenzi):

href="XMPP:msmith@domain;amckenzi@domain"

My mistake was I was following the part of the XEP specification that requires you to specify the room name and fully qualified domain.  The above doesn't include that. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: