cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

The ability to see if your Jabber IM was read

Jamin Horton
Level 4
Level 4

Would be nice if we could have the option to let users decide whether or not their IM was actually read. I could go on an on about the value of such an optional feature for the end user.

Jabber Community, what do you think?

2 Replies 2

Stephanie Knoop
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The beauty of IM to me, it that I have a choice.  If I want to reply right now, I can.  If I am busy or have other priorities, I'll ignore you.  I may even shut your conversation down, yet, even in a corporate environment.  If I'm in a meeting, and I get a couple of IMs, I may decide to close Jabber or forget to get back to you.

Further, in IM, what would constitute a message being "Read"?  IM is assumed delivery.  In future releases, if a user selects to enable pop-up notifications, is that presumed read?  What if they don't have popups?  I still presume it is read, just due to the nature of IM psychology.  How would you code the logic for this?

Response Signature

rikkipatel
Level 1
Level 1

I can see the benefit of being able to see if your message has been read, but not quite sure how that would work. Given the Jabber icon flashes orange at me until I read the message, sometimes I read the message just to get rid of the notification. Maybe a 'last active' would work better? So you could know if the person is actively picking up / checking jabber messages?