Views
Helpful
Replies

EasyQOS with subinterfaces

arikgelman
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I am trying to apply QOS policy with EasyQOS on Cisco ASR-1001X router. On this router I have interface with sub-interfaces and different QOS policy on each sub-interface. I added the description #WAN#50M#SPP1#, #WAN#45M#SPP1# etc on every sub-interface but there is no special policy added on the sub-interfaces.

Thanks is advance.

Arik

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Arik,

This has been filed as a bug:

EasyQoS 1.3: CSCvb09687: Service provider profile is not supported on sub-interfaces

We'll make sure it gets fixed by the next release (1.4 ~ December).

Thanks raising visibility on this missing functionality.

-tim

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

szigeti
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Arik,

What is the policy that is added to the sub-interfaces? e.g. the sub-int tagged with: #WAN#50M#SPP1# ?

Can you post the configs?

TIA.

-tim

Hi,

Thank you very much for the fast response.

I added "#WAN#50M#SPP1#" and "#WAN#45M#SPP1# to the description of the sub-interfaces, for example:

interfaces gigabitethernet 0/0/0

interfaces gigabitethernet 0/0/0.10

description Main-Interface-To-Site-10 #WAN#50M#SPP1#

interfaces gigabitethernet 0/0/0.20

description Main-Interface-To-Site-20 #WAN#45M#SPP1#

When I applied the policy with EasyQOS, the policy that was attached to the main interface (with the sub-interfaces) is the same policy as the policy attached to the other main interfaces (without sub-interfaces) on the router, for example:

interfaces gigabitethernet 0/0/0

service-policy output prm-dscp#QUEUING_OUT

interfaces gigabitethernet 0/0/0.10

description Main-Interface-To-Site-10 #WAN#50M#SPP1#

interfaces gigabitethernet 0/0/0.20

description Main-Interface-To-Site-20 #WAN#45M#SPP1#

interfaces gigabitethernet 0/0/1

interfaces gigabitethernet 0/0/2

There was no special policy attached to the sub-interfaces with the special description.

I am out of office so I can't add the full config, I will try to update as soon as possible, Hope the information here will help.

Thanks again

Arik

Hi Arik,

This has been filed as a bug:

EasyQoS 1.3: CSCvb09687: Service provider profile is not supported on sub-interfaces

We'll make sure it gets fixed by the next release (1.4 ~ December).

Thanks raising visibility on this missing functionality.

-tim

Hi Arik,

Is the behavior you are looking for something like the following:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/5

no ip address

shutdown

negotiation auto

plim qos input map ip dscp-based

plim qos input map ip dscp  32  40  queue strict-priority

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/5.100

service-policy output prm-dscp#EQ_SPP1-4Class#shape#50.0

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/5.200

service-policy output prm-dscp#EQ_SPP1-4Class#shape#45.0

Here's an example of the top level of the policy-maps.

policy-map prm-dscp#EQ_SPP1-4Class#shape#45.0

class class-default

shape average 45000000

service-policy prm-dscp#EQ_SPP1-4Class

policy-map prm-dscp#EQ_SPP1-4Class#shape#50.0

class class-default

shape average 50000000

service-policy prm-dscp#EQ_SPP1-4Class

Each sub-interface has a hierarchical policy with a shaper and a child policy (not shown). 

Let me know if that is the configuration you are trying to support. 

Yes, this is what I was looking for.

Hi Arik,

Can you share some additional information about the setup? We are in the process of adding support for this, but would like to learn a bit more about your use case. Please send "make-a-wish" request and we can connect offline...

-Ramit

Dear Ramit

Sorry for the late response and thank you for your help, Here are some use cases that from what I have seen EasyQOS does not support.

One Interface.jpg

Multi GRE tunnels from same source interface – In this scenario I have one IP address from the hub router that is connected to the SP, The spokes routers are also connected via the same SP with one interface. There are two GRE tunnels going from the hub router, one to each spoke exiting from the same physical interface G0/0. In this case I am adding the special description ("#WAN#XXM#SPPY#") on the GRE tunnels.

In this use case EasyQOS need to add special QOS policy to the GRE tunnels and not to add any QOS policy to the physical interface the GRE tunnels are exiting from (Doing that will lead to an error)

sub-interface.jpg

Multi GRE from different sub-interface – this scenario is the one I explained at the beginning of the thread, In this case the hub router have two sub-interfaces, one to each spoke. The GRE tunnel exit to each spoke via the sub-interface. The special description ("#WAN#XXM#SPPY#") is added this time to the sub-interface and EasyQOS need to implement the policy as described at the beginning of the thread.

Thanks for all your help

Arik

Hi Arik,

Thanks for the information, this is quite helpful. Do you also see a use case where you might have a shaper on the physical interface (no queueing policy, just a shaper), which is less than the sum of the shaped rates under all the sub-interfaces of this physical interface? This would allow you to oversubscribe a bit, assuming not all sub-interfaces operate at peak load all the time.

Thanks

Ramit

Hi,

In my case the shaping is per GRE in the first use case, or on the sub-interface in the second use case. I am not using shaping on the main interface but I always make sure that the maximum bandwidth of all spokes sites together will not be more than the physical interface maximum bandwidth.

Hi Arik,

Just for clarity, is this a DMVPN configuration or non-DMVPN....or potentially either?

Thanks.

Hi,

This is non-DMVPN, only GRE tunnels

Will it be supported in logical interfaces too? for example GRE tunnels?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

This community is intended for developer topics around Data Center technology and products. If you are looking for a non-developer topic about Data Center, you might find additional information in the Data Center and Cloud community