Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Jabber using DNS, UDS for Global UCS Design with multiple CUCM

john-guy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco Community,

I'm in my research phase of trying to design a Cisco Jabber deployment across multiple CUCM clusters in the U.S and Global locations.

For instance, this is what I'm trying to solve for

Cisco Jabber Users associated with Asia-CUCM Cluster

Cisco Jabber Users associated with U.S-CUCM Cluster

Cisco Jabber Users associated with Europe-CUCM Cluster

I will start by stating I'm not a DNS Expert pertaining this topic however I understand the concept.

If all Jabber Users across all CUCM clusters are connected to the corporate DNS how is their request to connect to the Asia, U.S and Europe VCS negotiated?  If I'm a User in Asia working from home not on on VPN how will the Corporate DNS know to direct me to the Asia CUCM?  If I'm a remote User in the U.S.A not connected to VPN how will my Jabber request to register to the U.S CUCM be negotiated and connect to the U.S VCS-Edge?

Any help is appreciated

Thank you

John

2 Replies 2

nick.mueller
Level 6
Level 6

This probably isn't the right community for this question, but I'll answer it.

First off, Jabber won't register to VCS/Expressway if it is internal to the network or on DNS, it'll register right to CUCM.

So long as internal DNS resolves to one of the CUCM clusters, and the CUCM clusters are setup with ILS, then Jabber will use UDS to discover the end user's home cluster, and then download configurations (assuming they exist) for the CSF/TCT/BOT/TAB device and register itself.

When external, you can use GeoDNS (e.g. F5, other) to resolve to a regional VCS/Expressway.  All of your VCS/Expressway must be setup for MRA for all three clusters.  The client will once again discover the home CUCM cluster and register appropriately via MRA.

NPM

Hi Rick,

First of all, thank you for responding since I'm trying to find information on how to direct Remote Workers and Internal Jabber/Phones to the appropriate CUCM Cluster.

For a Remote Worker with a Cisco phone traversing the Internet and not using VPN will it connect to a VCS-Expressway OR a ASA/AnyConnect to register with the appropriate CUCM?

We have F5's but its not configured for GeoDNS.  Is there a way to use DNS to direct an external "Remote Worker's" Jabber Client and 7900 telephone to the appropriate cluster (North America, Asia, Europe)?

I'm not familiar with UDS where it directs a phone registration to the correct Publisher.

Also I need to read about configuring ILS between clusters.

I would really appreciate if you can elaborate or direct me to a good CCO document on these topics.

Cisco WebEx Messenger_xmpp-client._tcp
Cisco Unified Presence_cuplogin._tcp
Cisco Unified Communications Manager TFTP_cisco-phone-tftp._tcp
Cisco Unified Communications Manager CCMCIP_cisco-phone-http._tcp
Cisco TelePresence Video Communication Server (Internal)_sip._tcp.internal
Cisco TelePresence Video Communication Server (External)_sip._tcp.external
Cisco Jabber Video for TelePresence_ciscowtp._tcp
Cisco WebEx TelePresence_ciscowtp._tcp

Thank you!!

John

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: