cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bug Toolkit still in beta after two years (or more ?)

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I was trying to remember how long it has been that Cisco has introduced the new tool but not yet finished it.

Since then,  there are two ways to do the same task, thing that is confusing enough in itself, on top of that we see that neither of the two tools is very fast or have a very good interface. Actually it seem like  no development is made on the new tool anymore, and it has just left as an unfinished project.

Compare to software startup companies that develop fully useable products in few months.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

chwoods
Level 1
Level 1

I am happy to announce that a new version of Bug Search tool will soon be replacing the current beta version in June 2013..

The new Bug Search release will:

• Provide a streamlined user interface that work in all modern browsers
  • Fix several bugs that will improve the quality of our search results data such that  all relevant  bugs appear in the search results.  These bugs will be available to customers within 12 hours of our security review process.
  • Allow several searching improvements including: 
    • Allowing refinement of all search parameters directly on the same screen.
    • Searching for bugs based on model, series or product ID (PID).
    • Providing users the list of versions that run on their selected product to choose from

• Version fidelity – In an effort to show customers only “found in” and “fixed in” releases that they can actually download on CDC, we spent a lot of effort in this area.  We will be showing customers a more inclusive list of releases that impact a bug. 
    • If a release is available on CDC, it will be indicated right on the bug details page.
    • A link to download software for the series will be provided directly in the fixed in section of a bug.
    • (This is step 1 of a larger effort, but customers will notice a significant improvement in the first release.)
  • Other UI improvements:
    • Allow customers to view and scan through the contents of multiple release notes quickly
    • Allow customers to provide ratings on the information provided on the bug release note
    • Fix the export to Excel size limit and include all customer visible fields in this export
    • Alert customers when a bug fix resulted in an intentional behavior change
    • Streamlined bookmarkable urls

There are also several other enhancements in place to improve performance and tool stability.  This will be Bug Search’s GA release!

Here is a quick preview of some of the changes you will see:

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey, GMail was in beta for five years!  Give us a break :-)

(http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/google-apps-is-out-of-beta-yes-really.html)

But seriously - stay tuned.  Hopefully we will have some interesting announcements within a month or so.

chwoods
Level 1
Level 1

I am happy to announce that a new version of Bug Search tool will soon be replacing the current beta version in June 2013..

The new Bug Search release will:

• Provide a streamlined user interface that work in all modern browsers
  • Fix several bugs that will improve the quality of our search results data such that  all relevant  bugs appear in the search results.  These bugs will be available to customers within 12 hours of our security review process.
  • Allow several searching improvements including: 
    • Allowing refinement of all search parameters directly on the same screen.
    • Searching for bugs based on model, series or product ID (PID).
    • Providing users the list of versions that run on their selected product to choose from

• Version fidelity – In an effort to show customers only “found in” and “fixed in” releases that they can actually download on CDC, we spent a lot of effort in this area.  We will be showing customers a more inclusive list of releases that impact a bug. 
    • If a release is available on CDC, it will be indicated right on the bug details page.
    • A link to download software for the series will be provided directly in the fixed in section of a bug.
    • (This is step 1 of a larger effort, but customers will notice a significant improvement in the first release.)
  • Other UI improvements:
    • Allow customers to view and scan through the contents of multiple release notes quickly
    • Allow customers to provide ratings on the information provided on the bug release note
    • Fix the export to Excel size limit and include all customer visible fields in this export
    • Alert customers when a bug fix resulted in an intentional behavior change
    • Streamlined bookmarkable urls

There are also several other enhancements in place to improve performance and tool stability.  This will be Bug Search’s GA release!

Here is a quick preview of some of the changes you will see:

Well, that happened even faster than I expected :-)

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Paolo,

Hope all is well

I just thought I would add that Christine was kind enough to let me take

the "new version" BST on a Test Drive not too long ago and it seemed to me that

it would surely be well worth the wait!!

Cheers!

Huff

"Talk about a dream
Try to make it real" 

- Springsteen

Please feel free to try out the new changes to BST.  We had a release on 7/12 that should address release searching.

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/

thanks!