cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSCut03205 - SPA modules on ASR1K show "missing" under show platform output

siportalsrl
Level 1
Level 1

Something worse might happen. You don't see "missing" but you could not see anything.

I'm working on an ASR1002-X with this image loaded: asr1002x-universalk9.03.12.00.S.154-2.S-std.SPA.bin

I added a SPA-1X10GE-L-V module. There are already two of these modules in the chassis.

The OIR feature should have recognized the module ...

Instead this happen:

ASR1002-a#show hw-module all fpd
==== ====================== ====== =============================================
                             H/W   Field Programmable   Current   Min. Required
Slot Card Type               Ver.  Device: "ID-Name"    Version      Version
==== ====================== ====== ================== =========== ==============
0/0 6XGE-BUILT-IN           1.0   1-2KP HSPA BULLSEY     2.34        2.34
---- ---------------------- ------ ------------------ ----------- --------------
0/1 SPA-1X10GE-L-V2         1.5   1-10GE I/O FPGA        1.9         1.9
---- ---------------------- ------ ------------------ ----------- --------------
0/2 SPA-1X10GE-L-V2         1.5   1-10GE I/O FPGA        1.9         1.9
==== ====================== ====== =============================================

ASR1002-a#request  platform software console attach 0/3
% Error: A SPA card is not available at 0/3 <----
ASR1002-b#hw-module subslot 0/3 start
%Command cannot be executed. Card not present subslot 0/3
ASR1002-b#show hw-module subslot all oir
Module        Model                Operational Status
------------- -------------------- ------------------------
subslot 0/0   6XGE-BUILT-IN        ok
subslot 0/1   SPA-1X10GE-L-V2      ok
subslot 0/2   SPA-1X10GE-L-V2      ok

There is no way to have the module on-line. So I had the reboot the router.
It is interesting that during shutdown the system sees the card:

*Nov 30 08:53:04.981: %IOSXE_OIR-6-REMSPA: SPA removed from subslot 0/0, interfaces disabled
*Nov 30 08:53:04.981: %IOSXE_OIR-6-REMSPA: SPA removed from subslot 0/1, interfaces disabled
*Nov 30 08:53:04.981: %IOSXE_OIR-6-REMSPA: SPA removed from subslot 0/2, interfaces disabled
*Nov 30 08:53:04.982: %IOSXE_OIR-6-REMSPA: SPA removed from subslot 0/3, interfaces disabled
*Nov 30 08:53:04.984: %SPA_OIR-6-OFFLINECARD: SPA (6XGE-BUILT-IN) offline in subslot 0/0
*Nov 30 08:53:04.985: %SPA_OIR-6-OFFLINECARD: SPA (SPA-1X10GE-L-V2) offline in subslot 0/1
*Nov 30 08:53:04.985: %SPA_OIR-6-OFFLINECARD: SPA (SPA-1X10GE-L-V2) offline in subslot 0/2
*Nov 30 08:53:04.985: %SPA_OIR-6-OFFLINECARD: SPA (SPA-1X10GE-L-V2) offline in subslot 0/3

During the reboot the card is finally recognized.

*Nov 30 08:53:12.148: %SPA_OIR-6-ONLINECARD: SPA (SPA-1X10GE-L-V2) online in subslot 0/3

Gianrico Fichera

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Palani Mohan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Gianrico

OIR is kinda misunderstood and misleading. To me, OIR is when I first remove an existing module and then insert a "like" module. So, instead of OIR, it should be ORI!.

Inserting new hw in an empty slot is not (technically) OIR.

While the term OIR indicates the hw components may be removed/inserted when the device is online, it does not mean that you can remove/insert the component without giving notice to the router. By notice to the router, I mean issuing cmds like hw-module stop|shutdown OR no power enable and such.

Before we remove/replace hw, we need to go through the process of removing cables, anyways. Why not take the extra step of powering down that slot/subslot alone before removing the hw?

Take a look at CSCuo77698 Its status is "Closed" meaning that it is recommended to turn power off to the slot/subslot before removing/inserting hw.

Kind regards .... Palani

View solution in original post

Hi Gianrico

The modules for ASR/1ks are expected to behave in a manner consistent with what you stated "add, replace, or remove modules without interrupting the system power or causing other software or interfaces to shut down."

Problem with this statement is that it does not mean that everytime it is done, there won't be any service interruption. Anytime we touch hw, there is a potential to create a service interruption.

CSCuo77698 was filed to investigate this problem. This has been closed after unsuccessful attempts to reproduce the same in our labs. The Close comments state that "possible fpga image corruption during auto upgrade triggered due to improper spa insertion"

As a user, kindly consider safe practice anytime there is a need to remove/insert hw:

• turn power off, for the slot
  • remove cables
  • Remove hw (optional)
  • Insert replacement/new

Following the above steps significantly reduces the unexpected outages.

Kind regards .... Palani

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Palani Mohan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Gianrico

OIR is kinda misunderstood and misleading. To me, OIR is when I first remove an existing module and then insert a "like" module. So, instead of OIR, it should be ORI!.

Inserting new hw in an empty slot is not (technically) OIR.

While the term OIR indicates the hw components may be removed/inserted when the device is online, it does not mean that you can remove/insert the component without giving notice to the router. By notice to the router, I mean issuing cmds like hw-module stop|shutdown OR no power enable and such.

Before we remove/replace hw, we need to go through the process of removing cables, anyways. Why not take the extra step of powering down that slot/subslot alone before removing the hw?

Take a look at CSCuo77698 Its status is "Closed" meaning that it is recommended to turn power off to the slot/subslot before removing/inserting hw.

Kind regards .... Palani

thankyou for your answer, I'll try to do it

I understand that ASR1k doesn't support something like this:

"The Modular Cisco Catalyst switches, such as the 6500, 6000, 5500, 5000, 4500, and 4000 Series, support Online Insertion and Removal (OIR) or Hot Swap of all modules (power supplies, fan trays, Supervisor Modules and other Line and Service Modules). You can add, replace, or remove modules without interrupting the system power or causing other software or interfaces to shut down."

I'm right?

thankyou

Hi Gianrico

The modules for ASR/1ks are expected to behave in a manner consistent with what you stated "add, replace, or remove modules without interrupting the system power or causing other software or interfaces to shut down."

Problem with this statement is that it does not mean that everytime it is done, there won't be any service interruption. Anytime we touch hw, there is a potential to create a service interruption.

CSCuo77698 was filed to investigate this problem. This has been closed after unsuccessful attempts to reproduce the same in our labs. The Close comments state that "possible fpga image corruption during auto upgrade triggered due to improper spa insertion"

As a user, kindly consider safe practice anytime there is a need to remove/insert hw:

• turn power off, for the slot
  • remove cables
  • Remove hw (optional)
  • Insert replacement/new

Following the above steps significantly reduces the unexpected outages.

Kind regards .... Palani