cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CSCwa47133 - ISE Evaluation log4j CVE-2021-44228

Groenigen
Level 1
Level 1

For a highly critical, severe issue, Cisco is not very responsive to the questions.

When can we expect to have a fix or workaround?

Please keep us customers informed about the progress.

16 Replies 16

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Groenigen wrote:

Please keep us customers informed about the progress.

The security bulletin can be found here:  Vulnerability in Apache Log4j Library Affecting Cisco Products

Currently, the bulletin is updated three times daily.  

Hi Leo, I know that. But on the affected product sites there are no updates and no replies to the customer questions.

@Groenigen wrote:

no replies to the customer questions.

If replies you want then you have but two choices:  Raise a TAC Case and/or reach out to your Cisco AM/SE.  

@Groenigen wrote:

But on the affected product sites there are no updates

Currently, this security bulletin is updated three times daily -- 1500 UTC/10:00 AM ET, 1900 UTC/2:00 PM ET, 2300 UTC/6:00 PM ET.

Next, scroll down to the bottom of the page to the Revision History section.  There list of changes to this security bulletin is listed.  

(We stood up a "crisis team" since Saturday.  We are in the same boat with everyone one board.  I would rather Cisco takes their time to address the fixes than rush an untested patch that could introduce more bugs or open more vulnerabilities.)

@Leo Laohoo does this impact all the version of Cisco ISE or to any specific versions only ? 

@Network_Sarovani wrote:

@Leo Laohoo does this impact all the version of Cisco ISE or to any specific versions only ? 

I am going to presume it will affect ALL Cisco ISE versions (regardless of patch number).  

For updated clarification, raise a TAC Case.

engahmed1975
Level 1
Level 1

I replied to main thread, sorry for the disturbance,

engahmed1975
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,
Cisco confirmed that all ISE versions are affected and there are dates for the updates:
Hotfix for 2.4 (17 Dec 2021)
Hotfix for 2.6 (17 Dec 2021)
Hotfix for 2.7 (16 Dec 2021)
Hotfix for 3.0 (16 Dec 2021)
Hotfix for 3.1 (18 Dec 2021)

You can find dettails here:

https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/cisco-sa-apache-log4j-qRuKNEbd#vp

if you find it's helpfull, make it, so others can find it quickly.

Patch can be found HERE.  

Release Notes (for the patch) can be found HERE.

NOTE:  Patch only apply to ISE 2.4, 2.6, 2.7 or 3.0.

I opened a TAC case with Cisco regarding version 2.6 and 3.0.  The TAC engineer is absolutely clueless.  The TAC engineer told me that there is no ETA on the patch release, he didn't even know that Cisco released the patch for 2.4 - 3.0 this morning:

ise-apply-CSCwa47133_Ver_24_30_allpatches-SPA.tar.gz

ise-rollback-CSCwa47133_Ver_24_30_allpatches-SPA.tar.gz

Support from TAC is not very good

@adamscottmaster2013 wrote:

I opened a TAC case with Cisco regarding version 2.6 and 3.0.  The TAC engineer is absolutely clueless.  The TAC engineer told me that there is no ETA on the patch release, he didn't even know that Cisco released the patch for 2.4 - 3.0 this morning:

Contact your Cisco AM/SE.

I just applied the fix to my Cisco ISE 2.6 and the patch was successful installed but now I can no longer log into the ISE.  I typed in my username and password and it stuck at "loading".

This is not good.  You wonder how much QA has Cisco put into testing this thing.

You wonder how much QA has Cisco put into testing this thing.

With all the panic happening around, there is not enough time to test the patches against some of the known installation variables.  

We did ours last night and we did not encounter any issues.

I recommend raising a TAC Case. 

LOL... You must be working for Cisco. 

What you're saying is that rush out the patch and break customer systems and let the customers deal with them?

What you're saying is that rush out the patch and break customer systems and let the customers deal with them?

No, that is not what I said. 

If the ISE cluster broke, raise a TAC Case.  

The patches did not break EVERYONE's deployment.  It only broke a few.  

You must be working for Cisco. 

No, I do not.