cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why i can't download IOS => "Service contract required" ???!!!

Elrick Landon
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I try to update IOS for my router (Cisco 2821 ).

When i click to download button, i receive this message : Service contract required

What can i do for upgrade IOS on my hardware ? Is it needed to pay for this ? WTF ?

Thks for your advise in advance.

Best Regards.

33 Replies 33

Very well said, this issue is very very frustrating and the sooner Cisco solves this the better for them.

I'm willing to pay that service where to get it? I bought a switch and a router for my home CCNA labs. Please where to get it ?

Simon Yelfimov
Level 1
Level 1

So I have Cisco wireless, purchased not even a year ago, 3 APs and WLC 2504. My company is involved in developing and testing collaboration appliance that employs AirPlay, GoogleCast, and other protocols for discovery\advertisement to BYOD. Bonjour is what I want to talk about

What I want to point out is; I've went through FIVE different iOS version is order to get one semi working one. There's still issues of stale records, advertisement frequency, and more. Thus I'm looking for new software in high hopes that the new version has those issues handled.

Keep in mind Bonjour is 14 YEARS OLD. Cisco still doesn't have that Sh*t working and wants nearly 30% appliance cost every year in order to provide me with their half a$$ed software updates. Zero guarantee, they every fix it.

I'm done, next hardware refresh cisco will be out of my closets for good. Bye!

Simon, I can appreciate your dissatisfaction with the Bonjour gateway ... frankly, I don't think much of Bonjour myself, as an enterprise protocol.

If you don't like our Bonjour gateway implementation ... then why not bypass it?  Just configure the APs and WLANs as FlexConnect locally switched.  Then the wireless infrastructure will just bridge the Bonjour (and all of those other home networking protocols) with no effort to track or filter the services at all.

Good luck and best regards,

Aaron

dear 

i have wireless controller model 2504 ,i lost firmware can you send me firmware thanks

qutihp4lyf
Level 1
Level 1

I also have this issue. I have an ASA 5505 for home personal use. IT is ridiculous to need to pay Cisco a service contract that is more money than the hardware itself. This is why the market now is full of comparable and stable equipment that rival Cisco.

jrsq1231
Level 1
Level 1

Wow... just Wow... I bought an old Cisco 2811 router that did not have a flash card... I have been looking all over for the software for it in order to make it useable.  I finally find it after painstakingly searching through Cisco's need-a-certification-to-find-anything-here web site and I find out I have to BUY A SERVICE CONTRACT just to put the software back on it????  I am building out a homelab because I am moving to cyber security...and boy do I have a sour taste in my mouth about Cisco now.  I can assure you if I have to purchase a contract to make something whole again I will NEVER purchase nor recommend a Cisco product ever in my career.

New forum member, replying to document here my recent experience with Cisco. So we've got a number of Cisco ASA 5506-x Firepower devices bought some time ago off the shelf, no support contract, which need to be patched for CVE-2019-1873. From Australia there's this 1800 we need to call. The lady at the other end, very helpful otherwise, picked up the S/N and tried to convince me I need a support contract to access the firmware upgrade. I had to actually tell her she's contradicting her employer own website which states we are entitled to support for security patches. She then asked me if I have a bug ID and I gave her the CVE number. From that point on, all smooth sailing, we now have a TAC.

So how does this work? You, as a Cisco customer, *MUST* prove somehow that your Cisco *security* device is vulnerable before getting access to the patched firmware? Sounds like some serious extortion racket going on here :))

So just bought my first two 2921 and 2911 routers, want to upgrade them to do my CCNA. Paywall seriously guys we have to pay for our certification and now we have to pay for the licensing. Just allow us to study your certifications. Allow us to upgrade the firmware and lock out or limit the stuff you want licensed like sonicwall does. That way at least we can learn how to use it or provide us an NFR (Not for resale) solution for register Users. And don’t give me that “use packet tracer and that’s what it’s made for”. It’s not the same because I learn by feel and not by virtual. So I have an experience where I can pull hardware out of a box power it up and program it. What do I do now? Can’t afford the contract CISCO or at least subsidise your students and allow us to purchase upgrades or something. Willing to pay for it but an entire service contract sounds like putting down a down payment on a mortgage.

Hi, same counts for me ! 

Unfortunately I did not do a good research before I put my hard earned money on these cisco device only to discover I will be scammed periodically on the service contract nonsense.  Its a pity am already caught up in the mess but the earlier I stop loosing by burning these cisco devices the better for me. Am supprise how cisco is still in the market. Am even supprised what made me get the cisco certification. 

You can add me to the list of people annoyed by Cisco's "paywall". I have several old Cisco switches and routers and I am unable to update them. I search for my device on the Software Download page and it's not even listed (2800 series router)! But wait, not only do I need a service contract, but I also need to provide my company address! I don't have a company, I am just learning at home. Honestly, this is insane...

Meanwhile, over at HPE all firmware updates are offered free of charge for all products dating back to the 90s. How come they can do it but Cisco can't?

No wonder why everyone uses HPE stuff now...

Still stuck on this in 2023, I found some very expensive Cisco APs in our work storage, only to be not able to update firmware coz of this issue...So I've managed to convince the government company I work for to fully change to Mikrotik, due to these inconveniences caused by Cisco.

Good decision !

GentooX86
Level 1
Level 1

In my opinion, the behavior of cisco here is a disgrace and every single person at cisco who supports this disgusting practice should be ashamed! To offer a service contract to people who just want to learn in the private area with the devices or just to secure their own private network is not possible.