cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Telco Stories

Kimberly Adams
Level 3
Level 3

Most of us in the networking world have had issues working with telcos.  Here is your chances to share your funny telco stories!

Here is mine....

One site had a frame relay circuit that was bouncing and spent more time down then up.  The client was running on their backup ISDN circuit and getting huge bills.  I kept working with the telco and they kept saying it was a CPE issue.  We replaced the WIC 3 times and same condition.  I told them that the issue was with the line and when they tested it they said they saw no issue.  Finally after about two months of this, I asked my field engineer to go on site and hang out for at least 2 hours.  Then I called the telco and told them that all the equipment was replaced, the chassis, card (again), everything.  The telco tech broke into the circuit and told me that he now sees the issue.  That the faulty Cisco equipment was masking a secondary issue with the circuit.  They repaired the circuit and it came back up.

The funnies part of this, we didn't replace anything the last time.  The chassis was never replaced and the WIC was, but it was never the issue.

I just love dealing with some of the telco's out there!

Happy New Year to all.

Kimberly

Thanks and Cheers! Kimberly Please remember to rate helpful posts.
66 Replies 66

Hey Leo,

We'd need to send them the coordinates from a Telco GPS

upside-down, inside-out, backwards and inevitably "always right"

Hope all is well buddy! +5

Cheers!

Smooth Rob the "GPS-direction giver"

Hey Huff,

How are things going for you out there?  Sorry I have not been around much, it has been really crazy in my world.  A long story that starts towards the end of March........not sure if you all want to hear my stories of woe...not much humor but all did work out in the end.  If you want to hear it just ask.

I am back here and seeing what I can do to help out and have a little fun during the day.

Cheers,

Kimberly

Hey Kimberly,

Welcome back my friend

I'm up for any stories you have....bring em on!

Cheers!

Huff

Kimberly Adams
Level 3
Level 3

Hey Huff...

This is the classic, welcome to my  crazy life story.  It started on the last weekend of March, when I got  this nasty cold and felt horrible.  I had to fly to California for work  on the 30th, fly out in the morning and fly home that evening...what a  long day with a terrible cold!  The next morning I figured I would just  work from home since I felt so bad and not wanting to spread it around  the office.  My director sends me an email asking me to come in and when  can I be there.  I said I can be there in an hour.  The company has not  been doing well and I told my husband I think I am getting laid off.   He has been out of work for over a year and a half after he got laid  off.  I went into the office and made sure to bring all my stuff with me  and found my director and the HR lady.  Yep, I got laid off and then  needed to finish my expense report and do a project hand off and clean  out my office.

That afternoon my husband gave some  encouraging words of advice and such and said he isn't going back to  school, but back into the job market again with me.  We drank the night  away!    Friday morning I updated my resume and resumed all my job board  searches and started applying for jobs again.  I met with a headhunter  on the following Tuesday, but told him that my husband would be a better  fit for the position (since we both are Network/Security Engineers).   Wednesday I got an email from another headhunter to meet me for a  position they are trying to fill as a contract to hire.  Thurday morning  I met her for coffee and then she asked the hiring manager to talk to  me.  I left there at 10:00 AM and then my phone range at 10:09 AM and  the company wanted me to start the following Monday.  Well....I thought  things were going to be rough for us, but I was only out of work for a  week and 2 days!

So, this is my crazy story and why I have not been around very much here lately.  But I am back!

Cheers,

Kimberly

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey Kimberly,

WOW!

What a whirlwind story for sure! I'm so happy to hear that you are back to

work already, and after only a week and a bit. That must be a record in these

economic times

Your story also proves the "old" adage;

"When the going gets tough,

The tough head for drinks!"

How bout hubby? How is his job hunt going?

We're glad to have you back @ CSC!!

Cheers!

Huff

Hey Huff,

Yeah it has been a whirl wind time with plenty of highs and lows.  And in these times, the tough do head for drinks!  Hubby is not having as good luck as I am.  He has had a couple of really promising interviews but then nothing.  They turn out to be more of a nightmare than anything.  He knows Networking and Security like the back of his hand and he had a terrible interview yesterday.

He sat down with the 2 network engineers and the hiring manager.  The hiring manager hardly said a word to him, but sat and stared at his resume.  One of the engineers decided to ask him about spanning tree.  Hubby explained to them how to configure and monitor and troubleshoot it.  The engineer said, yeah that is fine, but is the formula and algorithm behind what makes it work?  Shocked Hubby said, off the top of my head I don't remember.  (Honestly, who knows that except for someone writing the IOS code at Cisco!)  The engineer reluctantly proceded to the next question about routing protocols and asked him to explain EIGRP.  Hubby explained again the configuration, monitoring, and troubleshooting of it.  The engineer again said, but what is the formula and algorithm behind it making it work?  Hubby looked at him and said what?!!?  The engineer repeated the question and hub said, in order to configure, monitor, and troubleshoot any routing protocol, you really don't need to know the algorithm behind it!  The engineer said, it is obvious you don't know very much about EIGRP then, so lets move on to OSPF.  Hubby at that point had enough and professionally end the interview.  When he was leaving he told them, I didn't know this was a Cisco CCIE R/S written exam, if I had known, I would have studied for it.  Have a nice day and walked out!

Hubby is a little jealous now that I keep having better luck then him on the interviewing and landing a job.

Cheers!

Kimberly

P.S.  Hey maybe we need to start a new topic on job hunting/interviewing horror stories! 

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Kimberly,

Why must some people who are running interviews act like such a$$e$ Why, why, why????

As if anyone needs to know that type of detail.............I'd love to hear them explain  the formula and

algorithm behind Spanning Tree or EIGRP!!

Tell Hubby, he's better off not working with people like that (to be sure!!) If they act like that in an

interview, what would they be like when the "you know what" hits the fan Tell me how much the

formula and algorithm behind Spanning Tree or EIGRP matters then!! HA!

My Dad always used to say;

"Good things happen to those who wait"

And I truly believe that. Keep on trying and it will all work out in the end.

Cheers!

Huff

Hey Huff,

Yeah I do completely agree about those who wait and are patient.  After he told me about what happened during the interview, his initial thoughts were that they just didn't want to fill the position and the "higher ups" were making them fill an opening.  But I was thinking about it and came to the conclusion that these two engineers don't want anyone to come into their group and pi$$ in their sand box.  It honestly sounded like they have their boss baffeled a bit and a lot of other people in the I.T. dept have been replaced by contractors and they don't want to be.  This made much better sense to my hubby then his first thoughts.

Honestly in the grand scheme of things, the formulas and algorithm behind anything doesn't really matter.  Can you configure it, monitor it, and troubleshoot it seccussfully?  If yes, then all that other stuff really doesn't matter when the "STUFF" hits the fan.  My hubby is the smartest person I know and would trust him over most for info or help on anything switching, routing, or security!!!!

I have faith that all will work out in the end.

Hope you have a good day.

Cheers!

Kimberly

JohnHeller_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Anyone from Australia will know about the largest ISP over here called Telstra. Here is one of my many stories about them.

Last year just before xmas, I had a task to installed ADSL modems at a very remote town, about 1000 miles from where I am based by 4wd.

The client had ordered 6 adsl services, 4 for houses, one for the local town council office and one for the general store.

The modems had been mis-delivered and I had only been able to locate them by going to the local post office and describing that size and shape of the 6 boxes.

I drove out to the town and was able to install 5/6 modems on the first attempt.

I then went to the office there and tried to do the same thing.

The ADSL light came up on the modem but the login details didn't work.

I did some basic trouble shooting, and found that another modem with alternate login details worked, and the modem assigned to the office would work at another site with other account details.

Then I spent 12 hours, yes no exageration, on the phone explaining to differenet sections like billing, accounts, tech support... what the problem was and got passed around.

The annoying thing is that some flunky would hardly listen to what i was saying, and would switch me to another department, but of course I would enter a queue at that section for 45mins to an hour.

I had a heated arguement with a women who was apparently a level 2 tech and team leader. She explained to me that the only modem that would work on the circuit was that one that they had assigned, and that no other modem would do the job. I told her that this was completly wrong and that I already had a working modem on the line and all that I needed was the account to be reactivated. She told me that this was impossible. I told her...look that only way I looked up your tech support numbers was using the modem you are telling me wont possibly work on your service.

She got really angry and told me that she was going to post me a new modem and immediatly cancelled the account on the line. this caused all sorts of administrative problems overs the next 6 hours as Bigpond can't seem to uncancel a cancelled service.

I ended up having to order a new adsl service on the line with no modem in the package.

Then after a few hours i was able to talk to a level 3 tech who fixed the problem in about 30 seconds.

I find that you get a sore ear and a crick in your neck from using a handset for that long.

Eventually I did get a replacement modem, about 3 weeks after xmas. Im glad i didnt wait on site for it!! I kept it as a spare to mail out to any client that had issues as a trouble shooting tool. I'm pretty sure they never billed me for it either.

JohnHeller_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Another problem I always seem to ahve with all telcos is that they always assume that the problem is with CPE equipment.

I always try alternate cables, modems or whatever before calling the Telco, and tell them it's all been replaced with known good gear.

The base grade flunkies in the indian call centres usally have no choice but to follow a step by step trouble shooting guide, so you just have to answer them the way they expect.

The hardest part is to actually get a tech to come on site. They don't like doing an end to end test. The faults are usally in the last mile, and ther testing only works to the last bit of telco equipment.

One solution I have found with faulty adsl circuits is to tell them that when you plug a telephone handset into the circuit that the dialtone is quiet or sometimes not present and that you can sometimes hear other peoples phone conversations. This has actually sometimes been the case in older areas of my city. But nowhere near as often as i report!!

The privacy laws in most countries are pretty stingent and this makes them take action immediatly. I can usally get the last mile recabled or at least get them to switch pairs, and this usually fixes the issue. Otherwise I can complain for weeks or months to get similar action taken.

Regards,

John.

Hey John,

Telstra ... Hmmm ... aren't they all in the same boat?  Telstra, Optus, etc.  The bigger the corporation the more out-of-touch they are from the clients.  I believe that the first thing they'll "train" you in big corporations like Telstra is that the cost of taking a call and customer management don't mix.

I've dealt with Telstra since 2001.  Nine out of ten times when I log a fault and have them "check a line failure" they quickly reply that "we've done our test and find that you're remote equipment is faulty".  It's like a worn-out script.  It's your fault and not ours.  The only way for me to settle-this-once-and-for-all is to get Telstra to put a loop on the line so I can send packets down the "tube".  And this is when they'll admit that something has just failed in their side when I tell them that I'm shooting packets and nothing is coming back.  Whoopsie.  So what test have you done again?

I've worked in a call centre too.  Guess what, the best way to raise your "call stats" is do perform "cold" transfer of calls from one department to another.  Do me a favour, when you get into a situation like that, get the operator's name and post your comment in Whirlpool.

I agree to that the important thing is not to know formulas and the nitpicking of things, its important to know where to obtain that information if and when you need it.

A while ago I was at a meeting with a telco operator in sweden.

There was a discussion on how different spanning tree models worked and what was best to use in what situation, ie someone tried to overpower someone else by making them look dumb, in the end I just raised my hand and replied This is how it works and by the way it is all explained inbetween the pages so and so in the book so and so.

everyone just looked at me with a somewhat sceptic look on their faces that I was a complete and total egghead.

At a pure coincidense I had been reading up on that just two nights before because I was looking to take a test that included that.

Do I know it now if someone asks me ? obviously not. And it does not interest me one bit since if and when I need to, I know where to find that information.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hey John,

I'm glad you didn't wait either +5

Great story! It's good to know that this fine level of service is Universal! Hahahaha!

Cheers! Thanks for sharing.

Rob

John,

I completely agree with Rob, great telco stories!  Yes it is very good to know that the issues we all have with telcos are universal.  We have the same issues in the U.S. with it always being CPE.....even when you look at the smartjack/demark and see it alarming.  It is totally the same story over and over again.

Thank you for sharing your stories with us.  +5

Kimberly

Hubby explained again the configuration, monitoring, and troubleshooting of it.  The engineer again said, but what is the formula and algorithm behind it making it work?  Hubby looked at him and said what?!!?  The engineer repeated the question and hub said, in order to configure, monitor, and troubleshoot any routing protocol, you really don't need to know the algorithm behind it!  The engineer said, it is obvious you don't know very much about EIGRP then, so lets move on to OSPF.  Hubby at that point had enough and professionally end the interview.  When he was leaving he told them, I didn't know this was a Cisco CCIE R/S written exam, if I had known, I would have studied for it.

I don't understand WHY.  Ok, what IF your hubby could answer these questions?  Are they going to pay him THAT MUCH?

But I was thinking about it and came to the conclusion that these two engineers don't want anyone to come into their group and pi$$ in their sand box.

Then you posted this.  I believe you are right.  It's an ego trip for the engineers.  They want to prove to their managers that they are THAT GOOD.  I can't wait to see them wipe that silly grin on their face if someone can answer these questoins.  Then again, they have an upper hand:  To the person who can answer their questions they can hit you back by giving you a pay of a level 1 trainee.

Honestly in the grand scheme of things, the formulas and algorithm behind anything doesn't really matter.

Not unless you work for the multi-national ISP like Verizon or AT&T, etc.

Let me put my two cents worth:  The line of questioning by these engineers are "old school".   I've met a few people who can answer a few of these questions but  has never touched a networking appiance.  I've read an article in CIO magazine that prospective employers would like to determine:  a.  what can you do; and b.  what have you done.

Please don't get offended when I say that it's good your hubbie didn't get the job.  I don't think I want to work for a group of ego-centric man1ac like that.

*Gotta calm down!*