cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will Cisco Unified Comms succeed against Lync?

James Hawkins
Level 8
Level 8

When I first started my career in IT I specialized in Novell Netware which was a pretty good product and ruled the marketplace.

Microsoft released Windows NT which was vastly inferior to Netware 4.x but succeeded mainly because it looked like a desktop OS - no scary command line. Novell made some ill-advised decisions (WordPerfect) and now are just a footnote in history.

I am concerned that the same pattern will be repeated with Cisco UC and Microsoft Lync. Over the past year three of my customers have ditched Cisco in favour of Lync. This has not always been successful but seems to be a worrying trend. Has anyone else seen similar? - I first started working with Cisco (in the era of IOS 10.x) to get away from Microsoft. I need to make sure I have the required skills to keep me employed for the 20remaining years of my working life.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Here's the thing, James.  

Since 2011, I've noticed the slide of "quality" by Cisco, from the (lack of) QC in IOS codes to the accuracy of documents published by Cisco.  It's a worrying trend.  

Last year, over at Cisco Live (Melbourne) 2014, one of the speakers told the audience that Cisco has shifted a lot of their developers to help improve Jabber.  I was shocked when he said SHIFTED.  Shifted from WHERE?  Now I'm really scared.  

And here's the thing, integrating Jabber to CUCM requires someone with PhD in Deep Space Navigation.  As I've mentioned above, documentation is really bad.   And then you start throwing systems integrator who knows nothing about the product, the complexity and end-users/company now quietly feel they've been ripped off.  By the time they get the systems up and running (at all and if not fully), it's already outdated and needs heaps of patching, upgrade, etc.  And by the way, due to the (technical) delays we (system integrators) forgot to get the system into maintenance contract so now client cannot download anything.  Really bring bad news to Cisco.  

Will UC beat Lync?  Depends on who wins in a "race to the bottom".  MS needs another cash-cow.  If led right, they just might gain traction.  Cisco has a few years of "lead" from the race.  MS is still trying to replace/get over Steve Balmer's very destructive "stacking" policy.  

Interesting, though. 

By the way, our organization operates both.  So far, we are observing more people going to Lync than Jabber.  

Totally agree with you, Leo.

We are a Cisco "unified store" as well, but we watch Lync very closely. Microsoft has a lot of customers and if the products are good and have the right price everything is possible. Microsoft has had products in the IM space for quite some years with the "office communicator", the addition of voice is an logical choice. Now that they own Skype, they can migratie all the home users to there Lync products so they get familiar with them (for free!). Is that not great?

The wireless BU from Cisco does also realize that Lync is here to stay when you look at the Lync integration that is coming in the 8.1 release. I think that it is just a matter of time, but we will see.

I don't thing the UC will beat the Lync with the exception of narrow segment of customers. And even worse - in the attempt to gain new market (where the Microsoft is far more experienced), the Cisco may become lost some of their traditional segments. The shift of resources have perspicuous negative impact to existing products.

In some aspects the Cisco has shifted beyond Microsoft already. It's Microsoft who feel responsible for their products enough to provide patched version to any customer in the case the bug has been discovered. It's Cisco who request expensive Service Contract or you are not allowed to download patched version by self (for some products).

Yes, there has been a big SHIFT in Cisco. And I don't consider it welcomed all the times.

Also, it is noticeable that Microsoft is offering it's Lync for free to Universities. it is standard Microsoft's strategy. So the former student, the future managers of companies, have past experience with Lync in many cases. Cisco's offering rather expensive courses instead. So we meet almost no former student with past experience with a Cisco product. I think it will count, don't you ?

Gordon Ross
Level 9
Level 9

I whole-heartedly agree on the Jabber documentation woes. It took me a while (and multiple TAC cases) to get Jabber working due to Cisco's poor documentation. (And the poor documentation isn't limited to just Jabber, unfortunately) I've made my feelings quite clearly to my account manager about this.

I think the problem Cisco will have with Jabber & CUCM is that Lync is an easy sell for an existing Microsoft shop. In fact, it might not even be a "sell" as Lync licensing could be part of an existing MS licensing deal.

GTG

PS - Started out in Netware too. Maybe we're jinxed ;-)

Please rate all helpful posts.

Wayne DeNardi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Whenever I see a topic like this, it reminds me of a news article / video I was sent early last year.

Have a look at: http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/new-18-million-king-county-phone-system-dropping-c/nd28C/

But, that aside, each product has its pros and cons.  In my opinion: Lync is currently great for IM and Presence, especially in a predominantly Microsoft Desktop/Server environment, and the Cisco world is best for Telephony and Video.

Wayne
--
Please remember to rate resposnes and to mark your question as answered if appropriate.

Wayne

Please remember to mark helpful responses and to set your question as answered if appropriate.