cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

www.cisco.com down?

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Is anyone else getting a DNS error when trying to access www.cisco.com?

I get a protocol redirect from http://www.cisco.com to https://www.cisco.com, and then the following error

Service Unavailable - DNS failure

The server is temporarily unable to service your request.  Please try again later.

Reference #11.14dcf180.1341364559.1740d61

I'm pretty sure it's not my DNS - I can traceroute to www.cisco.com and it resolves fine. Logging into the support forums works via the SSO site, as does the support forums themselves (obviously), but the main site just doesn't respond.

Cheers

29 Replies 29

Mike Hale
Level 1
Level 1

This has been an issue for us for about a week now as well.

Come on Cisco...fix your site.  > : (

pmettewie
Level 1
Level 1

We too have this issue. We have a workaround (not a fix) from our ISP (who is working on why this is happening.)

• We issue an "IPCONFIG /flushdns" at the command line.
  • We insert the IP address of the DNS routers our ISP has assigned to us.
  • There are several ways to do this - here is one. (If you have documents open, save and close them to be safe, you will be re-initializing the NIC on this machine
    • Go to Control Panel
    • Click on "Network and Sharing Center"
    • Select "Change Adapter Settings"
    • Highlight the active NIC
    • Right-click the icon for that NIC
    • Select "Properties"
    • Select the appropriate IP version (IPv4 or v6) - "Internet Protocol Version 4", etc.,
    • Find the section titled "Use the following DNS server addresses"
    • Put in the addresses for the primary and secondary DNS server addresses your ISP has assigned to you.
    • Click "OK" until you are out of the Properties box.
    • Allow some time (30 seconds should be enough - but if you encounter issues with resolution, re-start the computer.)
  • You should now be able to get to any portion of Cisco.com.

Again, I underline the fact that this is just a workaround and the problem still remains. It could be a broken DNS record or something else entirely. Contact your ISP if you are at a standstill.

Good luck - this is not a trivial issue Cisco! Please understand that there are customers out there that are experiencing problems researching, supporting and administering router, switches and other equipment.

Paul

@pmettewie

That works because changing name servers for recursive resolution (to your ISP NS's or some other) -- the source IP seen by the Akamai DNS load balancer changes to the new name server -- and the Akamai records returned send you to a different Akamai data center -- presumably one that does not have this problem.

However, the Akamai data centers getting returned to a bunch of us in this thread are/have been suffering from this problem.

Changing preferred name servers or recursive resolvers for an enterprise shouldn't (or can't in some cases) be done on a whim.  A conditional forwarder (Microsoft DNS) could be used as well -- we implemented one yesterday (using another ISP's NS's only for cisco.com and it helped).

On a side note the Akamai data center we were being redirected to for www.cisco.com (final A record of 184.87.144.170) does seem to be working a lot better today.

Thanks for the input on this.  We have people digging into the problem.  Sorry for any inconvenience.

Scott Huegel

Analyst Business Operations

Cisco

Hi Scott,

Is this issue affecting emails?

I have four separate TAC Cases and I have not received any emails from TAC engineers all day since yesterday.

Hello Leo,

No there shouldn't be any impact on email.  You might consider a follow-up via the CIN.

Scott Huegel

Cisco

Hi Scott,

Me bad.  MS email cluster got f**k.  Now I know where the term "cluster faq" comes from. 

We continue to investigate the problems above and have opened a case with Akamai.

Scott Huegel

Cisco

Scott,

Please post an update when you have one.  This issue is having a major impact on our ability as a partner and reseller to conduct business with Cisco.

If anyone is experiencing this problem, if you could kindly click on this link, just a click is required, and this will help us gain additional information for Akamai:

http://ip.akamai.com/case/B-C-HP5ULX

Thank you for your patience and support.

We continue to work on this problem.

Scott

Thank you for submitting your diagnostic information. No further action required.

Tracking Number: 1453

Thanks for the link, Scott.

No issue for me.

schuegel
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you everyone for your patience.  We believe the problem has been fully corrected.  It additional problems are encountered, please let us know.

Again, thank you for your patience.

Scott Huegel

Cisco

Looks good for me.

Thanks Scott!

Broken again in the last week.

00u17
Level 1
Level 1

I am facing this problem right now. Did anyone find a solution for this? it is working on my phone browser but not on the laptop, i have tried changing browsers as well. clearing DNS cache, browser cache and even reset tcp ip stack on windows. 
The browser says ' the site took too long to respond"