Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco DNA Center High Availability version of appliances

OlehBosiuk65241
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I planing to deploy High Availability Cluster for DNAC. I have 3 appliance, but from the box they come with different software version (two with SW 1.3 and one with SW 1.2). For deploying HA Cluster we need use same SW version on all appliance. My question - on which step I can do upgrade for the last appliance 1.2->1.3? Some suggestion:

1. During Maglev Configuration wizard I set IP address for all three appliances and VIP (for example .1, .2, .3, VIP - .4).  After installation finished for all node can I login to .3 (appliance) and do upgrade for one appliance throught DNAC GUI?
2. Reimage the Appliance, then do Maglev Configuration. Link for reimage the appliance.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/2-1-2/install_guide/1stGen/b_cisco_dna_center_install_guide_2_1_2_1stGen/m_prepare_the_appliance_for_configuration_2_1_2_1stgen.html#task_t2q_...

Or we have another way to do that? 

1 Reply 1

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

To enable HA in your environment, the following requirements must be met:

• Your cluster consists of three Cisco DNA Center appliances with the same number of cores. This means that your cluster can consist of both the first generation 44 core appliance (Cisco part number DN1-HW-APL) and the second generation 44 core appliance (Cisco part numbers DN2-HW-APL and DN2-HW-APL-U).

• The appliances are running the same version of Cisco DNA Center 1.2.8 or later. For example, if a patch for version 1.2.8 is installed on one cluster node, you must also install the same patch onto the other cluster nodes in order for HA to operate.

• Multinode cluster deployments require all of the member nodes to be in the same network and at the same site. The Cisco DNA Center appliance does not support the distribution of nodes across multiple networks or sites.

Take a peek at this for more info:Cisco DNA Center High Availability Guide, Release 1.3.3.0

My recommendation would be to re-image the 1.2.x box first to get it on same code as the others as this will simplify things moving forward.  Then start fresh with integrating all 3 nodes with HA.  You should be able to contact your Cisco reps/TAC to get what you need.  See below for creating a bootable usb, etc. for re-image: Cisco DNA Center Second-Generation Appliance Installation Guide

HTH!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card