Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco DNAC used for IOS XE Upgrade Platform 4500

Netmart
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am wondering, whether it is possible to automate the upgrade [image and ROMMON] of platform 4500 via Cisco DNAC.

Please advise.

Thanks.

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

To how many units?

Netmart
Level 1
Level 1

About 15 - why does number of Units matter.

I am wondering, usually you have to update the bootvariance, write the changes to the memory.

The rommon needs to be updated first.

A lot of intermediate steps involved so not sure how DNAC would be able ton handle this?

@Netmart wrote:
The rommon needs to be updated first.

Until now, DNAC will never upgrade the ROMMON. 

@Netmart wrote:
About 15 - why does number of Units matter.

Because it will take me about 45 minutes to manually push the firmware, including verification check, to >30 x 4500.  

Ok. So let's assume ROMMON/Firmware is done.

Does DNAC is at least able to push the image to the c4500 and trigger the reload?

Anybody in this community have some experience with the question I am posting????

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@netmart2  The Catalyst Center Compatibility matrix is the source of truth for this.  For older platforms like the 4500 you'll need to select the "Upgrade" Radio button.  You will see that 4500 is listed as supported (but make sure you look at the supported software releases).  This doesn't answer your rommon question though.  I looked around internally and it sounds like a single sup rommon upgrade is supported on 4500, but dual sup is not.  So if you are upgrading single supervisor chassis from a supported release according to the compatibility matrix, TAC should be able to help you if you run into an issue.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/Website/enterprise/catalyst_center_compatibility_matrix/index.html

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@Netmart,

Is SSH enabled to all the 4500 fleet?  

If it is, do not upgrade to 3.11.9.  I am fully aware and understand 3.11.9 is a "gold star" release, however, please read the reviews because there are two major flaws:  CSCwi02895 and will potentially crash the chassis if using a particular (Mobaxterm) SSH client.

The unofficial Workaround EEM can be found HERE.

@leo Lahoo

Yes I am aware of SSH issues in 3.11.9; Cisco should rather take it off the shelf.

Yes, they do SSH.

So it seems that DNAC does not support automation of c4500 upgrade process?

@Netmart wrote:
So it seems that DNAC does not support automation of c4500 upgrade process?

DNAC does not upgrade the ROMMON. 

As @Preston Chilcote said, DNAC will not upgrade dual supervisor deployment.  

Netmart
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you.

So what could be the alternative?

Do it all by manually.  

Like I said, I can push the firmware (archive tar /x tftp://filename.tar bootflash:) to all your 4500 in about 30 minutes (including a verification check).