Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco DNAC with cat9800 wlc

vivarock12
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

My first time working with DNAC, the DNAC is already integrated with ISE and i have to integrate a WLC and use the AP in fabric to apply SGT on to the SSID,

Do i need and special configuration on the WLC to do the integration?

the inly information im able to get is from

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/catalyst-9800-series-wireless-controllers/220427-implement-software-defined-access-for-wi.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/cloud-systems-management/network-automation-and-management/dna-center/deploy-guide/cisco-dna-center-sd-access-wl-dg.pdf

and all the information im able to understand is

• WLC should connected outside the fabric (optionally directly to border)
  • Reside in the global routing table

so should i use the management port of the WLC to conect and use that ip to discovery the WLC from the DNAC? or what else is needed?

thanks for the help by the way.

4 Replies 4

@vivarock12 

"My first time working with DNAC, the DNAC is already integrated with ISE and i have to integrate a WLC and use the AP in fabric to apply SGT on to the SSID,"

If you want the Access Point as part of the Fabric, the WLC also need to be part of the Fabric. 

"and all the information im able to understand is

• WLC should connected outside the fabric (optionally directly to border)
  • Reside in the global routing table

so should i use the management port of the WLC to conect and use that ip to discovery the WLC from the DNAC? or what else is needed?"

That information seems to be related to the scenario call Over the Top wireless where the WLC does not integrate as Fabric.

There wil be a lot of source for integrating 9800 as a Fabric device with DNAC. This one I am sharing below is only one among many.

https://www.theasciiconstruct.com/post/sda_wireless_1/

First thanks for the link.

Second could tell me how to connect the WLC to SDA theres no migration going on its a new deployment so how do you connect to the fabric then? because in the topoloby it looks like it is connected to a clasical switch after the fusion is that ok or spected??

vivarock12_0-1724179545400.jpeg

thanks for the help by the way.

You are welcome.

The answer for you question is on the beginning of the document:

"

WLC discovery

Before a 9800-CL WLC can be added to the fabric, it must first be discovered by DNAC. In this case, we’re using an IP range to discover the WLC. Run a discovery job on the DNAC GUI (Settings -> Discovery) by filling out the following detail details:

• The discovery profile name can be anything of your liking.
  • Select the ‘IP address/Range’ option and give the IP range for the WLCs.
  • Preferred Management IP should be none as the WLC doesn’t have a loopback address at this point in time.
  • Add credentials:
    • CLI – create a CLI set in the Design page, and input the username/password. Select this as the CLI you want to use when discovering the WLCs.
    • SNMPv2c – create a SNMPv2 read/write set in the Design page (you need to fill in the read and write community strings as configured on 9800-CL WLC. Remember each read and write window needs to be saved separately) and select the same here for your discovery.
    • HTTP is optional
    • NETCONF - netconf with a port of 830 needs to be enabled.

An example discovery is shown below:"

vivarock12
Level 1
Level 1

nice i have add the WLC in the service block after a fusion router, now i have one question the AP should be configure with an IP POOL in a Access port with the infra_VN going to the AP or how i dont get that part really.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card