Views
Helpful
Replies

Composite Template and Standard Template Ordering

ScottJ9664
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm looking at a multi-step process to run templates, basic config in an Onboarding template (Step 1), this works fine and inserts the device into the Inventory.

I then want to run a Composite Template with 3 steps.  I've included these 3 steps, but it's not performing any ordering, when I have a ran a term mon on the switch I applying it to, it seems to just dump the config from all 3 steps in one go.

From the documentation, it sounds like it should be applying the configuration in sequential steps, which is what I need, is this not possible?

As I workaround I have tried to process each step individually by not putting them in a Composite Template, when I've tagged our devices, I've tagged them either L2 or L3 depending on the switch type, if I give the template the same tag all 3 templates appear, but again it seems to want to submit all 3 at once.

Is there a way to segregate / force an order of how they are applied as the current set up doesn't make sense to me in why it's applying this way.

Thank you

2 Replies 2

pieterh
VIP
VIP

I do not think composite template is the solution
all steps are "rendered" to a single change of configuration, just as you describe
you can use the "simuation" option to check the result

-> keep the separate steps in separate templates and apply these sequentially

But I'm also still learning in DNA center so I may be wrong

in Jina template the best that may remains order of steps is using "blocks" that refer to macros

{% block authentication %}
     {{ authradius() }}
{% endblock %}
!
{% block snmp %}
     {{ snmp_auth() }}
{% endblock %}

Thanks PieterH, that's frustrating.

Not sure why it would allow the ordering of your templates within a Composite Template if it applies all of the configuration at the same time.

I do already have macros in my Velocity templates so thanks for that as I've managed to split my 1 template up as I need, it's just that the ordering of it applying the switch config is getting messed up because it's applying it all at the same time, so all 3 of my steps are mixing up with one another.