cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

configuring a2960-s

catnation
Level 1
Level 1

im trying to configure my switch, i got the initial part done, however tying to get the24 ports on 1 vlan i type the following command "interface range" reports back as incomplete command.

typed interface ?

and it shows that "range" is an acceptable command, however it still comes back as incomplete command, any ideas?

9 Replies 9

Martin L
VIP
VIP

you have to type interfaces, like interface range fastEthernet 0/1-10  < small f or capital does not matter.

make sure u are in config mode; copy and paste interface range FastEthernet 0/1-10

Switch(config)#interface range fastEthernet 0/1-10
Switch(config-if-range)#   << note u r in interface range range mode, use ? to see options

note that by default all ports are already on vlan 1 < default vlan

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

catnation
Level 1
Level 1

i see it now, ok next stupid question, im trying to use this for my cameras (poe) shows its getting power (i think it has an ip address) but the software does not show there is a camera my PC has a class C address i gave the switch a class A do i need to reconfigure the IP for a class C on the switch?

Yes, all devices should be on the same network, Class C or B or A; i.e. 192.168.10.x /24; even the switch can have IP under interface vlan x (vlan 1 is default);  if ur the software does not show that there is a camera, then PC is not on the same network as camera; ur issue PC is on a class C address,  Camera has a class A network;   So, yes, change the IP of PC, or camera. Switch is Layer 2 switch so it does not need IP but u can add one so then u can ping switch, and camera from PC. or ping camera from siwtch.

if ur PC has 192.168.10.1 /24, and Camera 192.168.10.2 /24, Configuration for switch: 

interface vlan 1 

ip address 192.168.10.10 255.255.255.0

no shut

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

BTW, the 2960 series are L2 switches, although starting with the -S variant, I recall (?) they (feature license dependent?) can support very limited routing.  This is important, because each VLAN is isolated from other VLANs unless you have some way to deal with L3 between VLANs.

With a VLAN, generally all the hosts should be on the same network (address block).

Also BTW, although we still use the terms of Classes A, B and C for certain address ranges, especially for private address ranges, we generally no longer do classful routing (unless you're using RIPv1 [ouch]).  For example, for the private Class C address block, you might have a 192.168.0.0 network that's a /16 through a /31, you're not stuck using a /24.

Lastly, the range syntax can differ a tiny bit between platforms (or at least it once did - recall some required spaces between some parameters); besides encompassing a contiguous set of ports, you can have 5 (?) port range groups, a group might be just a single interface.

e.g.: 

Switch(config)#int range f0/5 , f0/10 - 15 , f0/3

catnation
Level 1
Level 1

ok got a few updates and a few questions. found out why my camera wasnt connecting, i dint have the right cable pinouts( i can rebuild that) does the 2960 have a GUI or is it only CLI?

Unsure there's any GUI support, but they do have the full blown CLI.

Oh, recall web interface might be optional, but not very GUI like.

how would i go about enabling it?

Possibly it's already enabled.  Do you have on-net telnet/SSH access?  If so try web browsing to same IP.

If you only have console access, you need full admin access and there's checking and possibly configuration changes needed, possibly including loading a replacement IOS that includes the web management component.  BTW, if a replacement IOS is needed, Cisco doesn't provide them for end-of-life devices.

Also BTW, Cisco used to provide a free external web management app, but it too has been retired.  It appears they still have a "pro" version that can be purchased but besides the cost you may need to prove you have a valid license.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card