Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA Backup server configuration requirements

AFlack20
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Does anyone have any specifics on how to configure a Linux server for DNA to do backups to? We have a fresh RHEL v9 installed with the rsyncd utility running but we keep getting the following message on DNA...

Remote server is not supported: Error running uname on remote server: .

We've been following the Cisco guide on the backup configuration but its lacking on any details of the Linux side of things and honestly between me and my Windows admin, the in depth Linux configuration is beyond our knowledge base. Does anyone know of any detailed videos and/or write ups that could be used as an applicable guide? If not, is this something that I could possibly get TAC to assist with?

2 Replies 2

Hello   we will configure the backup on next week, I will let you know if we meet this issue too or not.

Pascal MARTI ;-)

willwetherman
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi @AFlack20 

The above error is typically generated if the specified SSH/SFTP user doesn't have shell access on the remote server to run uname (which DNA Center uses to check the OS details of the remote server).

These are the basic steps to configure an Ubuntu LTS 20.04 server to support DNA Center Automation (SSH/Rync) and Assurance (NFS) backups. Note that SSH/Rsync and NFS can be configured on the same Linux server or on different servers.

Automation Backups

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install rsync
sudo mkdir -p /backups/dnac/rsync
sudo adduser sftpuser
sudo chown sftpuser:sftpuser /backups/dnac/rsync
sudo systemctl restart ssh

The SFTP subsystem and the C.UTF-8 locale are already enabled in Ubuntu LTS 20.04 so the above is the minimum needed for Automation backups.

Assurance Backups

sudo apt-get install -y nfs-kernel-server
sudo mkdir -p /backups/dnac/nfs/
sudo chown nobody:nogroup /backups/dnac/nfs/

Edit exports using command 'sudo nano /etc/exports' and add the following line to the end of the file
/backups/dnac/nfs/ *(rw,all_squash,sync,no_subtree_check)

sudo exportfs -a
sudo systemctl start nfs-server

Hope that this helps

Will