Views
Helpful
Replies

DNA Center and C9800 implementation

maamann
Level 1
Level 1

Hi 

is ist possible to import an existing C9800 config into DNA Center or any other way to get a WLC Configuration implemented 1:1 into DNA Center ?  I tried to configure the different profiles any policies from the C9800 into the DNA Center but there are to less knobs and buttons in the DNA Center GUI to have all the commands and functions from the C9800 configuration.

And how can i add my own workflows , deploy just a template to a bunch off Controller ,  ......, .....

Regards Markus

4 Replies 4

Hi

I see two  ways where DNAC can manage devices:  Assurance or fabric.  In Assurance DNAC works like a Cisco Prime. Now,

Fabric is a new concept and in this case the whole site will be transformed.

Either way, to get your device on the DNAC you can use the discovery feature. Device need to pop up in Plug and Play list and then you need to assign it to a Site.

I recommend you to take some time and look at some DNAC doc and videos. It is not difficult tool but is not that simple also.

Hi 

gone through a couple of Videos and Docs but no one showed me a solution to configure  all the wireless feature on the DNA , like i have on the C9800 , and then assign them to a site . 

You can only configure a subset of features on the DNA for wireless compared to a full C9800 configuration and that kills the DNA Concept.

Preston Chilcote
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is a feature in Inventory under Actions->Provision->Learn Device Config.  This was originally designed to learn from Aireos controllers, but I believe newer releases can learn from 9800 too.  Give it a shot!

t takes time to bring all wireless features into the GUI, so you will currently see the most important features like WLAN info and RF profiles. There are additional advanced features under Tools->Model Config Editor. These basically mirror what Prime was doing for customers who use its config templates.  If you are using really advanced wireless features you can use the above options but also add a Template in Cisco DNA to push any remaining config lines.  You will have to create this template manually.

tried already the Learn Device Config but it just complains most of the config about that this and that ist not supported with DNAC. ( WLC runs on 17.3 ) in the Model Config Editor are a couple of more options but still to less and they are named sometimes different like on the Controller it self. Yes, i could use a combination of Template and some SSID config and wireless network config and wireless Profile config and Site config to solve all the dependencies that DNAC wants to have , but that's much to fumble it all together.  Job could be done easier if i could copy paste some config snippets from the WLC  and the DNAC takes care about to translate it to somewhat ever.

Tried the approach to use the template editor , which is great , but you can not deploy a template or Project to a device like "select the device , select deploy template from the pull down menu, fill in some necessary variables for the template, and then its done " 

But you can not create Workflows by yourself