cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DNAC 2.1.2.5 - Cannot delete a device from inventory

Rob R.
Level 1
Level 1

I am running DNAC 2.1.2.5 and I cannot delete a Cat9300L Switch from inventory. The switch was previously provisioned inside of a SDA Fabric as an FE device along with several other FE devices of the same exact model/code version/role. When trying to delete the device from Inventory it fails with a Generic Error of deletion failed, with no details anywhere. The device is no longer reachable and cannot become reachable in any way as the site is decommissioned. I've also deleted the entire Fabric Site Element which did not help. All other devices that were a part of the same SDA Fabric were removed successfully from the inventory, I'm only having an issue with 1 device. 

Things I've tried:

- Delete the device from inventory

- Delete the device from inventory via API Call using Switch ID

- Provision the device from inventory (fails, says it cannot reach it or says "deletion in progress")

- Removed all configuration from the actual switch several times via a hard wipe with proper DNAC wipe command set

- Tried to re-sync the unreachable device

- Changed the Device Role in the GUI trying to get it to do anything

TAC Case is already opened waiting on a engineer to look at it. 

We've seen this issue before and the only resolution was to reboot the entire appliance but I'm really hoping there is a better way. 

3 Replies 3

inderdeeps
Level 4
Level 4

@Rob R.  : The device has to be removed from the fabric before it can be deleted from inventory. But may be there are number of factors included, So i would suggest to talk to Cisco TAC.

Regards
Inderdeep Singh
www.thenetworkdna.com ( Awarded by Cisco IT Blogs award 2020)

Yes, I agree the device has to be removed from the fabric first. I took that exact action, in that sequence but it unfortunately did not prevent the issue. We're working with TAC now and they're performing cleanup in the campus database under the hood but still cannot remove the device from inventory. Will update if it is resolved. 

Hi Rob,

This is a known issue that you cannot delete a device if it is in a fabric, or some of the ports are still configured somehow.

TAC is the only one who can help in these cases.

Please let us know how it goes. and use the make a wish feature for a stale/removed switch feature though the GUI.