Views
Helpful
Replies

Recovering from a System Crash Password

ulmarinma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there.

I am taking the CCNA2v7 on my own, I do no have an instructor. I have a problem trying to recovery a password. 

I am practicing in packet tracer: I do not have physical devices.  I hope someone could help me out. Here we go with the explanation.

I set up a simple configuration on switch 2960, then I turned the switch off while holding down the mode button. So I got this:

switch: flash_init
Initializing Flash...
flashfs[0]: 2 files, 0 directories
flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 64016384
flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 4671556
flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 59344828
flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 1 seconds.
...done Initializing Flash.

switch: dir flash:
Directory of flash:/

1 -rw- 4670455 <date> 2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE4.bin
2 -rw- 1101 <date> config.text
59344828 bytes available (4671556 bytes used)

I changed the file name: 

switch: rename flash:config.text flash:config.old

2 -rw- 1101 <date> config.old

Next I booted the switch. Here is the problem. I cannot change the file´s name or copying it ti the running-config.

Screenshot 2024-04-04 095314.png

3 Replies 3

maflesch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I don't know why this is in the Catalyst Center topic thread since it has nothing to do with the Catalyst Center, but you can attempt to read the file with more and see if the config file isn't corrupted:

switch#more config.old

If it doesn't let you read the information, then I would say you have to start from scratch.

Martin L
VIP
VIP

packet tracer is just a simulator of IOS; , not real device running IOS, so I am not sure if you can practice password recovery, have u check PT labs on Internet?  Use boot ?  or dir ? to see what options u have in PT; what is next step in password recovery process anyway?  should u add new password and then save running config to startup config ? then u can copy old valid settings u want to keep to running config and save again.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses ** 

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

You will have to use real Cisco equipment to practice password recovery.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***