cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unreachable switch status in DNA Center is confusing...

TomM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have DNAC 2.1.2.6 and various Cat9300-U switchers on 16.12.4.

Recently two switches became unreachable and I'm trying to understand how DNA Center would evaluate the status of that switch in assurance.

The two switches are no longer on the network either via the SNMP query via the default timer on DNA Center inventory check.  And the core switches also indicate there are no longer any cdp neighbor relationships so I know the two switches are off the network ( a different problem I have to research).  I'm more consider on how DNA Center processes this outage.

Here is the Provision/Inventory/Inventor Focus screen showing the two switches have disappeared.  Which is what I would expect.

Provision-InventoryUnreachable.png

However, when I look at the Assurance Network Health Dashboard and drill down into the Access devices, the switches have a status of "Unmonitored" as indicated below.  I would expect that the status would be more critical than unmonitored.  And in the next screen scrape, there are P1 Issues related to the "unreachable" switches.

Assurance-Network-drill-Unmonitored.png

Assurance/Issues

Assurance-P1-issues-drill.png

Is this just a logic defect related to NDP/NCP?  Down switches should be reflected as critical and also be as visible as any device that is just as important as a device evaluated as fair or poor.

Anyone from the assurance team comment?  thanks.

1 Reply 1

Mike.Cifelli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

As you mentioned, for your inventory devices what you see is what is/should be expected when DNAC loses access to the device via the following methods: SNMP, ping, SSH, etc. since that is how DNAC finds/discovers/manages NADs in inventory. 

Is this just a logic defect related to NDP/NCP?  Down switches should be reflected as critical and also be as visible as any device that is just as important as a device evaluated as fair or poor.

-I would strongly suggest submitting this request via make-a-wish in DNAC (for the most part Cisco is pretty responsive & this may already be road-mapped for a future release).  Lastly, try engaging your reps as well to get this potential feature request planted.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card