cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Azure Cross Region High Availability

Daryl Clark
Level 1
Level 1

We have successfully deployed HA across two CSR1000v routers in each of our Azure regions. Routing is set up on the Azure backend between regions using VNet Global Peering.

While highly unlikely, in the event of both routers going down in Region A or a carrier issue into that region, I would like to know if it's possible to fail over to use the routers in Region B automatically. Using eigrp delay we have set up each region to advertise the other regions routes with a worse metric, so inbound traffic would be automatically failed over. The problem we are having is figuring out how to automatically initiate the Route Table updates in Region A to use the routers in Region B for the return traffic.

2 Replies 2

Hi,

Have you tried guestshell in CSR to trigger API calls to manipulate the
route tables. This is extremely powerful

**** please remember to rate useful posts

I'm using the native HA program to failover between routers within the same region. I'm not sure of anything that supports cross region / tertiary failover. I could write something customer in Python, but if I went that route I'd probably just do it within Azure instead of on the router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: