Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
tcerling
Level 4
Level 4

When using the default Windows installation media for installing Windows onto a Cisco UCS server, it can be a frustrating experience for several reasons.

• Disk drivers that are needed to recognize the disks for installation are not there
  • Disk drivers are there, but they are out of date and need to be updated
  • Intel chipset drivers are never included, yet they must be installed for proper operation
  • Other drivers are missing, such as the Cisco VIC drivers

The purpose of this document is to provide instructions for creating your own, up-to-date installation media.  Though it take a little time up front to create your own media, it will save you time over the long run because you do not have manually update drivers or install additional drivers after completing the Windows installation.  And, it allows you to keep you copy up-to-date with the latest drivers.  When Cisco releases newer versions, simply re-run this procedure and you have a new, up-to-date installation media.

I posted another Cisco Communities document (Automating Windows Server Deployment) that details the process of setting up an automated way to deploy Windows Server within a UCS environment with all current drivers.  But sometimes all you are after is the ability to use the virtual media capability of UCS to load the Windows installation media.

Though this document says it is for Windows Server 2016, following the steps in this document for earlier releases of Window Server works fine.

No support or warranty is implied for the use of these scripts and procedures, but if you have any issues, feel free to post back here with questions.  I will do what I can to help guide you.

Lastly, please return here to share with others what you have learned, ideas you have to improve this, or other automation scripts you have found useful.

Tim

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links