Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
ericwill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

This script automates the upgrade of UCS Manager firmware (logging into CCO, downloading firmware bundles to a local working directory, uploading bundles to the target UCS System and walking through all steps of the upgrade, including creation/assignment of a new Host/Management Firmware Policy to all Service Profiles/Templates. Note: Should exit for any reason, you can run again and the script will figure out where it left off and continue with the next task in the upgrade If the script finds that the target firmware bundles are already located in the target local directory, the script will identify this and use these bundles, rather than downloading them from CCO (useful in an environment without internet access to CCO).

Change Log:

1.0 - Initial version

1.1 - Option to upgrade only the infrastructure bundle (-InfraOnly parameter)

1.2 - Script to use the auto-install functionality in UCS Manager for upgrading the firmware.

Script usage:-

.\UCSMFirmwareUpdate.ps1 -version <UCSM version> -ucs <UCSM IP> -imageDir <Image Directory> -hfp <all|default>

.\UCSMFirmwareUpdate.ps1 -version <UCSM version> -ucs <UCSM IP> -imageDir <Image Directory> -infraOnly

-version: Target UCS manager version.

-ucs: UCS Manager IP Address to be upgraded

-imageDir: Directory where images are placed or to be downloaded (all 3 bundles, A, B and C)

-hfp: all (for updating all hfp) or default (for updating default hfp). hfp stands for Host Firmware Pack.

-infraOnly: Upgrades Infrastructure only (Optional Parameter)

Example 1:

UCSMFirmwareUpdate.ps1 -ucs “xx.xx.xx.xx” -version "3.2(2b)" -imagedir “c:\work\images” -infraOnly

Example 2:

UCSMFirmwareUpdate.ps1 -ucs “xx.xx.xx.xx” -version "3.2(2b)" -imagedir “c:\work\images” -hfp all

Example 3:

UCSMFirmwareUpdate.ps1 -ucs “xx.xx.xx.xx” -version "3.2(2b)" -imagedir “c:\work\images” -hfp default

Comments
jimstehlik
Level 1
Level 1

Eric,

I love this script.  I was wondering if you can split the script up so that I can perform the Infrastructure only portion and then have a separate script that does the rest (servers).  I tried splitting it up, but wasn't too successful.

Thanks,

Jim

ericwill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes it can be done.  I'll look to do that soon, and will let you know when I get a chance to do it, and repost.      

nveda
Level 1
Level 1

James,

We will add a switch parameter to existing script which will help to perform infrastructure only portion.

jimstehlik
Level 1
Level 1

This sounds great.  I look forward to the revision.

Thanks,

Jim

ericwill
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

It's been updated with the -InfraOnly option.  Try it out and let me know what you think!     

jimstehlik
Level 1
Level 1

Eric,

Thanks a bunch.  I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. 

Jim

rrasale
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi

Can we able to Switch / Lead the Pri role to other FI ? I see it can be don't only via CLI and was unable to find PCLI..?

Do you have cmd-let that can switch the Pri role from FI to the one which is Sub ?

Thx

RR

mibaig2
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

How did this testing go ?

C. H.
Level 1
Level 1

With the addition of a "Service Pack" option in 3.1(3a), the script doesn't work anymore.  Is there a workaround for this, or is this a deficiency in PowerTool cmdlets?

Error output:

Set-UcsFirmwareBootUnit : ucs:Unable to find Switch Service Pack image for version 5.0(3)N2(3.13a)

vravish
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Chris, we will look into the script and get back.

vravish
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi chris,

Could you please let us know which Cisco UCS PowerTool version are you using? I noticed that this script uses very old cmdlet "Get-UcsCcoImage".

C. H.
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Vinay,

I had this issue on 2.1.1.13.

Thanks,

Chris

smolz
Level 4
Level 4

Any chance this could be made to work with the UCS-E servers?

ben.mcintyre
Community Member

Vinay,

Is there any update on this?

With the addition of a "Service Pack" option in 3.1(3a), the script doesn't work anymore.  Is there a workaround for this, or is this a deficiency in PowerTool cmdlets?

Error output:

Set-UcsFirmwareBootUnit : ucs:Unable to find Switch Service Pack image for version 5.0(3)N2(3.13a)

Vinay Ravish wrote:

Hi Chris, we will look into the script and get back.

vravish
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ben/Chris,

We have updated the UCSM firmware upgrade script. Now the script uses the auto-install functionality for upgrading the UCSM.

Please use the latest script and let us know if you need any more information.

Examples/Usages are provided above and in the script as well.

thanks,

Vinay

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links