Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Comments
vravish
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco UCS PowerTool Core suite is a set of PowerShell Core modules for Cisco UCS Manager, Cisco IMC and Cisco UCS Central that helps in configuration and management of Cisco UCS domains and solutions.

Cisco UCS PowerTool Core Suite is developed using PowerShell Core and .NET Core to support running PowerTool on Linux Operating Systems and Docker Containers. This release of the PowerTool Core is built on top of the PowerShell 6.1.1 release. Refer to PowerShell Git-Hub site for detailed instructions on installing PowerShell on the supported operating systems of your choice.

For instructions on installing and getting started with UCS PowerTool Core Suite refer to the document attached to this post.

For module specific documentation refer to Cisco UCS PowerTool Suite - PowerShell Modules for Cisco UCS Manager, Cisco IMC, UCS Central 

External customers - For any queries/feedback on PowerTool, contact Cisco TAC or ucs-powertool@cisco.com or add a discussion to the Cisco Developed Integrations sub-space on Cisco UCS Communities

We are also on Slack - slack requires registration, but the cisco-ucs-powertool channel on powershell team is open invitation to anyone to register here. Once you join the powershell slack team you can join cisco-ucs-powertool channel here

Internal (Cisco) customers and employees - Contact us at ucs-powertool@cisco.comucs-powertool@cisco.comfor support questions and ask-ucs-tme@cisco.com or ask-ucs-pm@cisco.com for roadmap questions and feedback.

Comments

I can use the following PowerTool command to clear the SEL for UCS Blades:  Get-UCSBlade | Get-UCSMgmtController | Get-UCSSysdebugMepLog -AdminState clear -force -Confirm:$false

However, what I would like to do is actually use a PowerTool command to view the SEL logs.  Maybe the last 25 lines of the Log.

Anyone have an idea?  Convertto-UCScmdlet isn't giving me anything.  Thanks.

terry.mckenna
Level 1
Level 1

Looking at the release notes these are the supported UCSM versions:

Cisco UCS Manager PowerTool is compatible with the following Cisco UCS Manager releases:
 Release 4.0
 Release 3.1
 Release 3.0
 Release 2.5
 Release 2.2
 Release 2.1
 Release 2.0

So no support the current release of the UCSPE - 3.2(3e)?

I am getting the following error when trying to connect:
"Connect-Ucs : The requested security protocol is not supported."

Ubuntu 18.10

PowerShell Core 6.1.3

Thanks

vravish
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@christopher.eakin 

Hi Christopher,

There is no support to get SEL logs in XML apis(PowerTool uses XML apis to communicate with UCSM).

You can configure SEL policy to take backup on remote server using below cmdlet:

Get-UcsSysdebugMEpLogPolicy | Get-UcsSysdebugBackupBehavior | Set-UcsSysdebugBackupBehavior

and then trigger back up SEL logs to remote location and access the file.

Get-UCSBlade -SlotId 1| Get-UCSMgmtController | Get-UCSSysdebugMepLog | Set-UcsSysdebugMEpLog -AdminState backup

vravish
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

@terry.mckenna 

Hi terry,

Cisco Ucs PowerTool Core modules work for UCSPE as well. you should not face any problem using PowerTool Core with UCSPE.

We have tested the latest build with emulator 3.2(3e), which is the same build that you must be testing on and PowerTool core, works fine for us. we have used unbuntu 16 and PowerShell Core 6.1.3.

one question here: how did install the Powertool Core?

I suspect you might be using window based powertool modules which will not work on Linux.

Please uninstall/remove all the powertool modules and install the PowerTool Core suite modules available in this article.

Thanks,

Vinay Ravish

@vravish 

I came across this today.  Great stuff!!  Pulls the SEL logs via PowerTool.

https://blogs.cisco.com/datacenter/if-you-can-do-it-in-ucs-manager-gui-you-can-do-it-in-ucs-manager-api

I came up with this script that seems to work well.  Connects to my UCS Central.  Gets the list of domains.  Disconnects from central and then connects to each to domain and pulls the SEL logs for all servers in each domain.  

Connect-UcsCentral -credential $ucscred $UCSCentral
$domains = Get-UcsCentralUcsDomain | select -expand name
Disconnect-UcsCentral
foreach($domain in $domains){
Write-Host "Connecting to $domain..." -ForegroundColor Green
Connect-Ucs -Credential $ucscred $domain
ForEach($server in $servers = get-ucsblade | Sort-Object serverid | select -expand serverid){
$chassis = Get-UcsBlade -ServerId $server | select -Expand chassisid
$slot = Get-UcsBlade -ServerId $server | select -Expand slotid
Write-Host $server -ForegroundColor Red
$httpGet = New-Object System.Net.WebClient
$httpGet.Headers.Add("Cookie",'ucsm-cookie="' + $(get-ucspssession|select-object -ExpandProperty cookie) + '"')
$httpGet.DownloadString($(get-ucspssession|select-object -ExpandProperty uri) + "/ucsm/../operations/server-"+$chassis+"-"+$slot+"/sel.txt")
}
Disconnect-Ucs
}

Jake.Hedges
Level 1
Level 1

Hey Cisco team,

Thanks for putting out the Core version so quickly.  Just one quick query - Powertool Core will be main branch soon?  When can we expect .msi at software download site? 

I've already moved to PowerShell 7 and have been validating my scripts as we go, so far so good - thanks again!

Jake

EmanuelG
Level 1
Level 1
I'm having issues to connect using Active Directory credentials. Is it supported or can only be used with local creds? Thanks in advance!
philvcp
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to @christopher.eakin this was incredibly useful. I adapted to export each SEL in a 65 blade domain to CSV then checked the length of each CSV within the loop to generate an email if over X lines log for further investigation due to the amount of hidden ECC errors our dimms are reporting.

I am trying to expand and get the same thing working for standalone c-series but the API logic seems totally different. If anyone has done this i would be very interested!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Quick Links